026 stihl prob

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatter1212

Reaction score
Im thinkin this may be a coil problem with my saw but not sure jsut wondering if anybody eles has run into this...My saw work great if its started from cold and will run a good hour of cutting but as soon as it gets hot it jsut boggs right down and has no power and will stall out....any suggestions

Welcome, could be a few things, but a coil would not be my first thought.

Spark screen pluged?
Spark plug carboned up?
Worn rings (low compression)?

tatter1212 said:
Im thinkin this may be a coil problem with my saw but not sure jsut wondering if anybody eles has run into this...My saw work great if its started from cold and will run a good hour of cutting but as soon as it gets hot it jsut boggs right down and has no power and will stall out....any suggestions
I have an 026 that had exact same problems a new coil fixed the problem. Its a $100 part unfortunately. Good Luck

Thanks

Thanks for the imput guys. I hope timbers suggestions will fix it...unfortunatly I do think its the coil time to get out the bank book i guess :(

Tatter I'd go along with the coil. Why would it run for a hour with a plugged screen or worn rings? Check to make sure it's cooling good, not all clogged with sawdust 1st. Then check the spark after it dies, should be at least 1/3 to 1/2 inch long if not you have a bad coil. Some of the saws have a lifetime warranty on the coil, would be worth checking it out.. Steve

Coil

Well, I found out that there is a lifetime warrenty on the coil so im going to get that replaced. I pulled out the screen in the carb though, and it was pluged with sawdust which i thought weird cuase i just put a carb kit in last week, so i checked the fuel line filtter and it had arip in it so that would explain the sawdust, but i still dont understand if that was the prob why it would run for and hour with a pluged screen? youd think it woudnt run cold or hot...unless when the screen heated up it expanded jsut enough to stop fuel flow since the screen was mostly blocked with dust..... sooo haha sorry if that was bunch of jibrish, but all know tommorow when i get out cuttin...still thinkin its the coil, and its on oreder...thanks again for the imput

I had a similar problem with my 029 last summer and thought it was the coil but changing it out didn't solve the problem. Turned out it was the spark plug. No obvious problem like a crack or anything. But a $3 plug fixed it. Might be worth a try before you install the coil if you can return the coil.

Latest posts

Back