026 Stihl won't start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejudi

Reaction score
My 026 Stihl won't start. Last used successfully about 2 weeks ago. Used fresh gas/oil mix. Ran good........ Here's the issue now:
Won't start. Put small amount of fuel directly in carb/choke entry point. It started/ran for about 3 seconds.
Did this three times, same result. Removed in-tank filter, removed air-filter, removed carb (did not tear down), pulled
fuel-line and blew out gently. No apparent obstructions. Changed plug & it's getting good spark. Still, the only way it
will run (for about 3 secs.) is to put fuel in carb or cylinder. This sounds like a carb or fuel line problem to me. Any
suggestions on a remedy will be appreciated.

My 026 Stihl won't start. Last used successfully about 2 weeks ago. Used fresh gas/oil mix. Ran good........ Here's the issue now:
Won't start. Put small amount of fuel directly in carb/choke entry point. It started/ran for about 3 seconds.
Did this three times, same result. Removed in-tank filter, removed air-filter, removed carb (did not tear down), pulled
fuel-line and blew out gently. No apparent obstructions. Changed plug & it's getting good spark. Still, the only way it
will run (for about 3 secs.) is to put fuel in carb or cylinder. This sounds like a carb or fuel line problem to me. Any

How old is the fuel line? Any chance its getting pulled shut or has any cracks in it that would leak? How about the fuel filter? When you removed things, did you check the impulse line also?

Absolutely its fuel related. If it runs for 3 seconds when mix is put in directly then the problem is getting the fuel to the engine consistently.

My guess, without seeing it, is that its a line - either impulse (as ssg suggested) or fuel line.

Good news is that it should be a very inexpensive fix...bad news is that it might take some fiddling if you've not worked with carbs & lines before.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll try replacing the lines before trying to replace carb parts. One dumb question: I have removed and blew out the rubber line coming from the tank to the carb (it also has the filter attached to it in the tank), and this line is really wierd looking like a draggons back. I thought this was the fuel line. What is the impulse line?? Wish I had a parts diagram!

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll try replacing the lines before trying to replace carb parts. One dumb question: I have removed and blew out the rubber line coming from the tank to the carb (it also has the filter attached to it in the tank), and this line is really wierd looking like a draggons back. I thought this was the fuel line. What is the impulse line?? Wish I had a parts diagram!

PM me with your email address. I'll send you the manual and parts list.

Likely it could use a good old fashioned carb rebuild.

Do check all of the other things mentioned. If the rubber has never been replaced, this would be a good time to do it anyway.
Impulse line
Fuel line
Fuel tank vent
Check/inspect carb boot for cracks
Replace fuel filter
Carb kit

Of the rubber, the only item I'd consider saving is the carb boot. Be sure to check it carefully.

I do like 026 saws. From the little time I've spent with them, they are nice to work on.

my o26 was doing same thing ,the gaskets in carb were swelled up ,i only had 1 adj screw so i bought a new carb that had the hi and low speed screws ,much more tuneable ,runs great after carb swap ,wouldnt run before just like yours only dumping fuel down carb opening ,then would die again

i suppose you could if you could find a grommet that fit the hole tight and sealed against the outside of the tygon hose..the stihl hose i bought was around 13 bucks

i suppose you could if you could find a grommet that fit the hole tight and sealed against the outside of the tygon hose..the stihl hose i bought was around 13 bucks

I think there's a hardware store near me that sells them in a lot of different sizes if I'm not mistaken. My 026 is gonna need one before long, good time to experiment.

My thoughts were to wipe the gas tank opening down and with the fuel line disconected blow (sealing the tank with lips) into the tank to pressurize it fuel should flow freely from line, if that does not happen fuel line problem if it does happen try a carb rebuild.

My thoughts were to wipe the gas tank opening down and with the fuel line disconected blow (sealing the tank with lips) into the tank to pressurize it fuel should flow freely from line, if that does not happen fuel line problem if it does happen try a carb rebuild.

that will tell you if the filter or line is plugged/restricted...visual inspection for a crack is the way to go

I dont know but My 260 is messing up pretty bad, Doing the same stuff. Sometimes it runs for a bit, But with low power and dies. I took it apart and looked the lines over. Going to try swaping a carb on it. IDK. I guess the fuel line could be bad inside the tank also. I didn't think about that. Keep us updated with what the problem was.

Back