028 and 056 compression?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is a 130lbs on each too low? That is what I got on my new ms460 and it has had less than 10 tanks of fuel. My 210 was 90lbs and it is new to. pp505 was 140lbs but it has had about 35-40 tanks through it. Are these #'s low? My compression guage is new but it is a cheap one. Do you think it's junk?:confused:

Yep gauge. I just went thru this myself. I dont think it would run with only 90 psi from what I understand. All my saws were low. One was like 60 psi and one was 80. Well the new gauge told a different story 120 and i believe 140.

All the Stihls you mentioned should have in the ball park of 150 PSI. 130 is low. 90 would not even start on that 210. Can you duplicate those readings or is the guage just all over the place with every check?

All the Stihls you mentioned should have in the ball park of 150 PSI. 130 is low. 90 would not even start on that 210. Can you duplicate those readings or is the guage just all over the place with every check?

I checked each saw 2 or 3 times.

If you honestly only have 130 PSI on a new 460, you need to take it back to the dealer and get it fixed. The 210 wouldn't run with only 90 PSI, so something's not right here. What guage do you have? It MUST have a Schrader valve right at the tip of the hose. I just ordered the Lisle this week from Amazon.com for $27 shipped.

I am not sure of the brand. It is some off brand. I bought it at the Auburn car auction.

Does it have a Schrader valve right at the very tip of the hose? That's the main thing.

Yes it does. Does the saw need to be warm or cold to check it? I am going to the part's store today to buy a new one. There is no way that all my new stihls are junk from the dealer. It is impossible! New, 310, 270, 210, 460, 660 and 180t I think it is called. They all read like this. No way they are all junk. Should they all read close to the same # on the compression? Thanks for the help!

Compression will be around 10 PSI higher when the engine is cold. If all of these Stihls are relatively new, they should have enywhere from 145-160 PSI. No less.

Thanks for the help Brad! You really seem to know what is going on with saws. I have read alot of what you have talked about with other people on what you have done to your saws. Would you ever be interested in massaging up a 460 for me someday for some $$? I live in ohio too, north west side 20 minutes from indiana and an hour 1/2 from michigan. Where is franklin county?:chainsaw:

I appreciate the kind words, but I'm still holding to my guns that I'll only port my own saws. I don't want to ruin a good hobby by turning it into work:). I hope you understand. It's sure not that I have any secrets to hide.

I appreciate the kind words, but I'm still holding to my guns that I'll only port my own saws. I don't want to ruin a good hobby by turning it into work:). I hope you understand. It's sure not that I have any secrets to hide.

No problem. I changed the piston and rings in the 028 last night. I used good used ones out of a 028 with bad oiler and broken tail handle. I know some but nothing about porting and things in that nature. I am just eager to learn how to get more power out of these saws. I modded the mufflers on the 210,270 and the 310 and got lots of power gain. The 210 gets flooded easy and I don't know why. Not comfortable enough to tackle the exspensive 460 and 660. The 660 has'nt even cut wood yet so that is out of the question right now for me. But the 460 is getting real close. Just don't want to screw it up.

Latest posts

Back