028 choke lever question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tompl81

Reaction score
I've got an 028 that I recently purchased and rebuilt. I've got a question about the choke lever setup. At first we thought the little dogs that opened and closed the choke on the air filter were broken off but after looking at a brand new one at our local stihl dealer, that does not appear to be the case. We've tried about everything to get the damned thing to work...just wondering what the hell we're doing wrong.
Thanks
Tom

Is the spring in place inside the filter to allow the lever to not "choke"? It's only supposed to choke when the O/I switch is all the way down. Pics would help.

The choke on the 028`s is actually operated off the master control switch, a small tang on the right hand side of the control cross shaft contacts that small tang on the back of the air filter when the switch is pushed down full travel it closes the choke. A spring inside the filter behind the choke flap pulls the choke back to the open position when the master control switch is moved up to the run position.
Pioneerguy600

Is the lever staying down when pushed or does fell springy! If it does not lock
to choke check the contact spring on left of shaft. It could be weak or out of position. If all is well here then take the filter apart and check the choke flap spring and cotter key. Hope this helps!

Is the lever staying down when pushed or does fell springy! If it does not lock
to choke check the contact spring on left of shaft. It could be weak or out of position. If all is well here then take the filter apart and check the choke flap spring and cotter key. Hope this helps!

I had the same problem on one I just got. The contact spring that acts as a lock and kill switch would not allow the switch to move into the choke position. I tried to adjust it, but wound up replacing it.

Back