028 clutch drum rubbing on plastic cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl025

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am in the midst of rebuilding the 028 WB that was completely disassembled, in a box. I have most of the pieces. Need some help with the correct assembly of parts for the clutch drum, oil sprocket spur gear, etc... I ran it today just to run it. Had some oil seeping through the clutch cover and wanted to investigate where I am leaking from. When I pulled the cover, I had melted plastic from the cover throughout the case. Looks like my clutch drum is rubbing on the cover. Looking at the IPL, it appears I am missing a washer between the clutch and drum. In my normal thinking though, I would assume that would shim the drum closer to the cover, rather than holding it in towards the clutch. I just want to make sure I am assembling the parts in the correct order. Here are some pics of the parts I have, and the wear to the cover. You can see some plastic transfer to the drum itself. Any help with the correct order of assembly would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1348.jpg
    IMG_1348.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 25
Take off the sprocket and put up a pic.
Here ya go. According to the IPL, I am missing a washer between the clutch and drum.... 1118 162 8935... maybe enough play without it to rub? but that doesn't make any sense to me. If anything, I would have thought I needed another washer to hold the drum tighter to the inside and away from the cover? IPL only shows one washer to hold the sprocket on the shaft with the e-clip. Both types of washers were in the box, but I only used one on the end like all other saws. I used the flat one with the spur tattoo on it (the one in the middle).

Attachments

• IMG_1350.jpg
    IMG_1350.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 12
According to the above ipl that is.
Yeah, I pretty much found out that I can’t go by the labeling on the IPL because of so many variants. I believe that is a very early version of the 028. I’m 99.9% sure that the cover is correct as it has the peninsula piece of plastic near the bar studs. The newer versions of the saw had a different cover that didn’t have that.

Attachments

• 0D745B30-CE8B-4919-9D5D-20864E56F285.jpeg
    0D745B30-CE8B-4919-9D5D-20864E56F285.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Yup, that;'s the problem., Also be advised there are at least 3 different oil pump drive gear combos. Get the wrong combination and yo melt things...like I did....twice!

Probably< I'll go out and dig some more. I have at least 6 carcasses, but I think that they all have that cover missing, but I'll go back and scrounge some here in a bit.

Yeah, I pretty much found out that I can’t go by the labeling on the IPL because of so many variants. I believe that is a very early version of the 028. I’m 99.9% sure that the cover is correct as it has the peninsula piece of plastic near the bar studs. The newer versions of the saw had a different cover that didn’t have that.
I think that cover was used with the very early version of the 028/clutch drum which is NLA (the drum in the IPL with no part #). I don't see any chain brake parts on your saw either. What does your handguard look like? Is it built to accept the chain brake?

Need to see a picture of , the inside of, both early and late covers. Also, anybody have one of the early clutch drums for a comparison? My 028S and parts 028S are all later supers.

I'll go with you have a very early 028, that is fitted with the later/newer clutch parts. You may need that later clutch cover?

Here is a couple of unusually bad pics. Note the inside of the sprocket compared to yours.
Thanks for the pics. Funny, my spur sprocket is a Stihl part, too. I can't tell from the pic, but is there a really thin washer between the drum and clutch?

Latest posts

Back