028 missing out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a lot of 028 saws laying about.

Remove the bar/chain/cover, and ship it to me.

I will fix it for free, you only pay parts and shipping.

From Indiana, the shipping should be low....

I have a lot of 028 saws laying about.

Remove the bar/chain/cover, and ship it to me.

I will fix it for free, you only pay parts and shipping.

From Indiana, the shipping should be low....

Hey Fish, I really appreciate your most kindly and generous offer, sort of unheard of these days but knowing where you come from I shouldn't be surprised. I do have 2 other saws I could use if needed so I will fool with it for a few weeks or so and if I don't get it going I will ship it to you and you keep it and do with it as you want. I don't cut much wood at all anymore unless a storm blows a tree down or a tree looses a limb so I really don't need 3 saws, just like to fix things that are broken, as they say, keeps me off the streets and out of the bars, you know, keeps me doing something, at 77 you got to keep busy.... Thanks again Bro.....

That sounds like a great offer from Fish.

I thought i would post up my response to your pm to me here so others can add/disagree etc.

The tank vent in your kind of saw tends to be a piece of orange tubing with two screws in (grubs);
stihlwtf.jpg

(note this is a 025 not the 028 you have).

The job of the tank vent is to allow the fuel to remain at atmospheric pressure, if blocked as fuel is sucked out a vacuum would form in the tank. Which would result in not enough fuel being able to be drawn from the tank and the saw will starve and die.

The impulse tube as shown below (the short black tube which pokes out of the casing, centre right) (note this is an ms240, just shown to illustrate)
attachment.php

attaches to the underside of the carb, travels through the plastic casing and joins to the crankcase.
attachment.php

The carb above is out of an ms240 (again to illustrate, underside of 028 carb should be similar), the impulse tube joins the brass looking adapter of the carb. You will have to take the rear handle/tank assembly off to replace the impulse tube.
The impulse tube uses the movement of the piston, to work the pump diaphragm and thus draw fuel from the tank. If there is a hole in the tube, however, i have found that sometimes the saw will run untill hot and then die as a result of the adverse effect the heat has had on the hole in the impulse tube.

The rubber lines on this old of a saw likely are a problem, and the fuel
filter insert usually has started breaking up, choking up the carb.
The impulse line gets hard and doesn't seal good at the nipples, and the fuel line gets gummy and collapses together in the tank after running.
I would suggest replacing the fuel line and filter, and taking the carb down
again, and removing the needle/lever/spring and blowing out that passage
as it is likely partially blocked, hold it up to a light to verify that it is clear.

But the very first thing to do is pull the muffler, and take a peek at the
piston.

Back