028 Super, should I sell?..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
When I was a kid my buddy's dad had one and I loved that saw. It was my first experience with a Stihl and I'd always wanted one. When I was old enough to buy my first saw (and/or had enough money) you could no longer buy a 028 new. So I oped for the 038 Mag. It looked identical with the rounded filter cover, just a little bigger and was a great first saw for me. I didn't know at the time how much more saw it really was, but it didn't really matter. I was a kid, it looked like a 028 and bigger was better...

About 10 years ago, my wife (knowing that I'd always wanted a 028) bought me a great looking 028 super for Christmas. I used that saw a lot in the first year, but then slowly went back to using the 026. So I don't really use it at all anymore. To me it's a bit heavier and a little slower than the 026, but I still love the look of it.

Now that I just recently found AS and have gotten a touch of CAD. I've just bought a 361 and a 441. I was thinking I need to get rid of some of these older saw.. I figured the easiest one to sell would be the 028 (it's in the best condition). I cleaned it up, took some pictures and listed it on Craig's. Now I've got 2 people interested in it and I don't think I want to sell it. Seemed like the "right price" was $250 and that's what I listed it for. Comes with a new 18 and fairly used 20, 3 loops of .325 RS chain and a case. Just seems like too much stuff for only $250, but I got one guy offering $200....

I almost feel like for $250, I'd rather clean it up really good and set it in the house as a decoration. Especially because of my personal history with the 028 in general. Plus this is the only saw related gift my wife has ever given me and I didn't know a thing about it. Totally surprised...

Don't mean to write a book, but it's been bugging me and I just got another email about the saw. I think I should just keep it, even if it just sits in the case in the garage... I just hate to have it lying around and I've got too many other nicer saw to run to mess with it....

What do you think, living room conversational piece, let it sit and maybe use once a year for fun or sell it for what seems next to nothing?....:confused:

Last edited:
If it were me and I wasn't comfortable selling it at the price people were offering, I would just keep it. However if you are in need of the money then sell it. But if its not really a money issue, just hold on to it, take it out and run it for a while. Its not going to lose any value if you hold onto it.

Country1,
I think you should sell it.. to me! Just kidding. I would not sell it. It is a good saw, good memories and was a gift.
My 2008 F150 is MUCH nicer than my old 78 Powerwagon was for most everything but I would love to still have that old truck.

Which hills would you be in?

2Door

It does not cost you anything but floor space for it to sit there, so I would not worry about selling it if you like it that much. Now, if you decide you might like to have a bigger saw and need extra funds then turn it loose. To me a nice ms660 would look better sitting beside my ms441 than a 028. Just a rant, I never liked the oilers on the 028 as they always seem prone to failure.

Yeah, I think I've made up my mine to keep it one way or the other. Just want to hear some support from my fellow CAD victums...
Kind of think it would be nice all cleaned up on display in the living room. Don't know if the wife would like it though. Might be a tough sell. Have to get it not smelling like 2-stroke some how...

i think we were talking about an 028 i found on CL last sunday and the consensus then was that it was about a $150 saw. i found another Cl listing for an "older stihl" for $300. it turned out to be a regular 028. i didn't even bother responding. i know a super is worth more, but i think that $250 is a very fair price.
that said, if the saw has sentimental value, as some else mentioned, it's not costing you anything to keep it. i have my first saw, a 310, that i bought on halves with my dad. i thought i might sell it, but i have decided to keep it bc of the connection with him, and i will be able to pass my "first" saw down to my son.

Country1,
I range from Bedford/Botetourt counties down to Wythe and Smythe counties. Dad is from Amelia/Nottoway.

I think there is a nice looking 028 Super on the sale forum here...

2Door

Country1 my good man,
Don't sell that saw if you do it wont be good. You will always try to replace it and you can't because of who got it for you. Look at my sig. I got a couple of um in that range and I love to run them better than some of our new ones. My wife just bought me an 044 and it wont leave this place till I do, if I don't ever crank it again. I still got the first saw I ever bought and the ones I got since then. I guess my family will have to figure out what to do with um one day. I hope my boy and girl keep um all cause they were mine. I end this novel now. Saw Safe.

I dont see anything wrong with keeping it in the living room, once I get my house built my grandfathers old 2 man Mall will be proudly displayed in my living room.... but then again I'm single and my 3 Stihls will probably be sitting next to it too :chainsaw:

My fathers 028 was the first saw I ever ran too, he still has it and uses it regularly. He was going to trade it in a couple years ago, on a used 660. I managed to talk him out of it as he already has an 046 and I knew he'd be looking for a light limbing saw once the 028 was gone. Now that he's ran my 066 a few times I think he's glad he held onto the 028 for limbing and the 046 for his bigger jobs.

If it was a regular 028, I might sell it, but the super is that much more special. If you have CAD, you need an 028 super.

Thanks guys!
I knew I could count on yal to make me feel better about keeping it. Everyone of your posts hit home.
The ad has been removed and the 028S will stay with me as long as I'm around.
I feel stupid now for even thinking of selling her.:greenchainsaw:

lmalterna, that's some pretty country down that way. If I ever get old enough to retire, we'd love to buy a chunk of land down there and grow old.

Latest posts

Back