028 WB help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl025

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
While cleaning out some storage, I just happened to come across an old 028 Wood Boss that someone gave to me in pieces, in a box. It was given to me some 13 or 14 years ago and I had every intention of resurrecting it back to life, but that never happened. Apparently, they tried to fix it up, tore it all down, and gave up. It was in complete disassemble, having various parts, nuts, bolts, and screws contained in zip lock bags. Well, I found it while cleaning up, and decided to see if it actually will run again. I pieced it back together, cleaned the carb, replaced the old points and condenser ignition with an electronic one, and got it to fire up. Had some issue getting oil to pump, but got that mostly solved. Still having some issues, but I think I am missing a seal. I got it to pump, but I think I am losing prime, so it is inconsistent after it sits for a while. So, I am trying to do this on the cheap. I will gift this dinosaur to my cousin so he can clear some trees at his new house. I don' have a problem using aftermarket parts, it is what it is. Here's my problem: I have both an oil tank leak and a fuel tank leak at the caps. I'm pretty sure that it is only the gasket, but looking at new gaskets online, they ring in at like $10 each. This was suppose to be on a budget.... I know that I can find aftermarket caps for about $10 for the set but I can't figure out what the correct part number should be. I have a couple 028 IPL's and cant find my tank part number on any of the IPL's. This kind of baffles me. The part number on the bottom of the tank is 1118 791 1000. Can anyone tell me what they think is correct? When I look up the gasket number for what I think is correct, I get some cross references for the same gasket that is used on 036, 046, 066 saws. I have no idea. Here are some pics of the saw so far. IMG_1152.jpgIMG_1200.jpgIMG_1201.jpgIMG_1233.jpg

I've replaced some of those "short" gas and oil caps with items from Amazon. Search Stihl gas and oil cap. Lots of options. Most are "taller" and much easier to grip. Approximately $8 for a pair and well worth it.

0000 359 1220 is the gasket part number for the fuel tank.
1210 is the oil tank gasket.
at the stihl dealer
0000 359 1210 SEALING RING $1.51
0000 359 1220 SEALING RING $1.72
Thanks Harley T,

I was showing 0000 992 6302 for the fuel cap gasket, and 0000 992 6305 for the oil cap gasket. And when I google them, I find crazy prices. I will use your part numbers. I have nothing to lose.

I'm really confused as to how to read these 028 IPL's for my saw. I'm assuming that mine falls under the "previous versions" but how do you know that for sure. The one copy I have is a true .pdf version that clearly shows updated components like newer fuel caps, newer air filter covers, chain brakes with viewing windows, etc. but the other version is a scanned copy that is hard to blow up for better details. I've been working off of the older version, but still have parts that seem like they don't correspond.

I've replaced some of those "short" gas and oil caps with items from Amazon. Search Stihl gas and oil cap. Lots of options. Most are "taller" and much easier to grip. Approximately $8 for a pair and well worth it.
I was going to go that route just because of the cost and the current ones are beat up quite a bit. I figured I could get new caps and new gaskets for less cost than just the gaskets. My concern was getting the correct size and correct thread pitch (if that's what you call it)

I was going to go that route just because of the cost and the current ones are beat up quite a bit. I figured I could get new caps and new gaskets for less cost than just the gaskets. My concern was getting the correct size and correct thread pitch (if that's what you call it)
Just take your current caps, and your part numbers to a Stihl dealer and see what they have got. Here is this year's prices, the ones I quoted were a couple years old.

STIHL 00003591205 249
STIHL 00003591210 249
STIHL 00003591220 249
STIHL 00003591230 299
STIHL 00003591240 249
STIHL 00003591241 149

Latest posts

Back