029 and 029 super..what is the difference?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV wood chopper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone help me decipher the differences between the 2?

Are the engines essentially the same?

super is 2.4cc more, basically the same in the cut. but having Super written on the cover, might give you a psychological advantage. lol

I think the Super has a 1mm bigger piston and a more choked up muffler so they perform the same. I think the the 290 is the same as the Super but has flippy caps. I have a original, not Super, 029 with a muffler mod and it is stronger than my BIL's 290. I am sure if I took the grinder to his they would run about the same.

Although the Super has a larger engine, both of them can be upgraded to the 039/MS390 configuration by changing the piston/cylinder. This adds almost no weight and is a significant increase in power.

The basic differences between the 029 and the 029 super are:
(1). The super has a 1mm larger piston and cylinder (029 super is 46mm, 029 is 45mm).
(2). The super has a fully compensating carb - versus a non compensator on the 029.
(3). As has been stated the 029 or the super are candidates for the 039/MS390 swap on the motor assembly --
I just finished one recently and am very happy with the upgrade.

That being said, I have owned and do have all three models. If I bought an running 029 I'd simply do a muffler mod and let it roll.
If I bought a running 029 super, I'd pull the limiter caps from the carb, mod the muffler and let it roll.
If I bought a 029 or 029 super that was toast - it might be hard for me NOT to buy the parts and/or the MS390 Bailey's option.

My 2 pennies...
Happy Sawing!

That being said, I have owned and do have all three models. If I bought an running 029 I'd simply do a muffler mod and let it roll.
If I bought a running 029 super, I'd pull the limiter caps from the carb, mod the muffler and let it roll.
If I bought a 029 or 029 super that was toast - it might be hard for me NOT to buy the parts and/or the MS390 Bailey's option.

My 2 pennies...
Happy Sawing![/QUOTE]

+1

If you have a runner do a muffler mod and if she's broke throw in the Bailey's 390 kit.

Latest posts

Back