029 died yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike PA

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A friends 029 quit yesterday. I don't know what caused the problem, yet. There is absolutely no resistence when pulling the starter cord. I was too busy working on my car yesterday to take a look at it, so I guess I'll start looking at it this week. I owe the guy for some things he's done for me, so I'll try to fix it for him. Hopefully a set of rings will do it, but I am a little fearful there is more to it than that. We'll see.

Pic required

A friends 029 quit yesterday. I don't know what caused the problem, yet. There is absolutely no resistence when pulling the starter cord. I was too busy working on my car yesterday to take a look at it, so I guess I'll start looking at it this week. I owe the guy for some things he's done for me, so I'll try to fix it for him. Hopefully a set of rings will do it, but I am a little fearful there is more to it than that. We'll see.

Did he give you any history? The "I.....I.....I.....forgot to add oil.....?

Pull the muffler.

Pics required!

I've got nothing so far, just that it made a pop, quit, and when he tried to restart, there was no compression. I would have looked at it yesterday, but I had too many pieces of the car that I drove to work today laying on the floor to worry about the saw. I'll start by pulling the muffler and the plug and take a look inside.

Pics may come... or may not. All depends on whta I see.

I've got nothing so far, just that it made a pop, quit, and when he tried to restart, there was no compression. I would have looked at it yesterday, but I had too many pieces of the car that I drove to work today laying on the floor to worry about the saw. I'll start by pulling the muffler and the plug and take a look inside.

Pics may come... or may not. All depends on whta I see.

I know that feeling! What pieces did you have off? How deep into it were you?

Dan

It is an '02 grand prix with a 3.1. Leaking intake manifold gasket (very common to these engines). Coolant was leaking into the engine and mixing with the oil, causing an emulsified milkshake that would have led, pretty soon, to engine failure. When my friend came around, I was piecing it back together. I considered doing the head gaskets, while I was there, but decided against it because I had no indication that they were a problem.

I've got nothing so far, just that it made a pop, quit, and when he tried to restart, there was no compression.

Sounds like the spark plug popped out of the cylinder head. I have seen it happen on a lawnmower, but never on a chainsaw. Anything is possible, I guess. Would explain the "no compression".

I just did this repair to my 98 Windstar. Again, this is very common to this year/model. Mine wasn't getting into the oil....yet....it was "burning" it.

PM sent

Dan

Sounds like the spark plug popped out of the cylinder head. I have seen it happen on a lawnmower, but never on a chainsaw. Anything is possible, I guess. Would explain the "no compression".

Sounds reasonable! That was too simple for me to think about. For me...it had to be the rings.....

Good thinking!

Simalar thing happened to me, 028 it had broke flywheel key. I tore the saw down thinking the rod was broke. It was an easy fix after all.

I figured I would check it. Like you said, anything is possible.

I had a 029 do that a few years ago. I was not running it but one of my help was. I heard a funny noise and then it died. He went to pull and the same thing ZERO compression. Turned out the plug blew out of the cylinder.

It striped the threads on the cylinder coming out.

Went to a regular auto parts store and bought a helicoil kit, called save a thread. It was like under 10 bucks maybe cheaper.
Sold the saw to a buddy (with him knowing) that uses it damn near daily.

Last edited:
Had a customer bring in a ms390 which turned very freely when the rope pulled, like a Briggs that had thrown a rod, it freewheeled a bit.
Turned out that the flywheel nut was loose, and the flywheel was the only thing spinning.

I've had saws wher the start pawls have fallen out.. lol.. guy wanted to sell it to me as a parts saw... (I charged him $10 and fixed it on the spot).

All good suggestions. Thanks. We'll see what I find and let you know. If it's interesting, I'll post pics.

Had a customer bring in a ms390 which turned very freely when the rope pulled, like a Briggs that had thrown a rod, it freewheeled a bit.
Turned out that the flywheel nut was loose, and the flywheel was the only thing spinning.

Do you think this was caused by poor assembly from the get go? I haven't seen that one...yet.... I've seen sheered keys that make it tough to get the flywheel off...

I had a lawnmower that I kept sheering keys on. I finally figured out that the blade mount was loose causing an impact on the flywheel key.

Dan

Update

Got to look at the saw last night. Pulled the starter cord and could see the flywheel move and hear the piston moving, so I pulled off the air filter cover and I am looking at a spark plug laying sideways in that little space. Not much doubt about why the saw quit now. I put the plug back in, felt tight, and fired it up. Seems ok. Just don't know why the plug came out.

Easiest fix ever. Hope it doesn't happen again.:cheers:

Do you think this was caused by poor assembly from the get go? I haven't seen that one...yet.... I've seen sheered keys that make it tough to get the flywheel off...

I had a lawnmower that I kept sheering keys on. I finally figured out that the blade mount was loose causing an impact on the flywheel key.

Dan

No, after quizzing the guy, his brother in law had been working on the saw, and had the flywheel off for some reason....

Got to look at the saw last night. Pulled the starter cord and could see the flywheel move and hear the piston moving, so I pulled off the air filter cover and I am looking at a spark plug laying sideways in that little space. Not much doubt about why the saw quit now. I put the plug back in, felt tight, and fired it up. Seems ok. Just don't know why the plug came out.

Easiest fix ever. Hope it doesn't happen again.:cheers:
:hmm3grin2orange: I hate to say I told ya so...But yeah I told ya so. :hmm3grin2orange:
And sorry but yes it will happen again.

Last edited:
Back