029 help please?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowroy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a friends 029 here and it was out of tune, but the main reason he brought it to me was to check and odd noise that is going on. Well I tuned the saw first naturally, but the noise I cannot figure out. It is a chatter like a crank bearing is going bad. I removed the sprocket and the recoil with the saw running and no change in the noise. I have bent pushed and prodded around on all the plastics, but the noise does not change until you rev the engine and can't hear anything but the engine. :help:

I went through some similar diagnosis problems a few weeks ago. It ended up being piston slap and wrist pin bearing. Your probably gonna need to pull the cyl.

I'd say bad clutch drum bearing. You said you removed the sprocket. But was it a rim, or spur with the drum attached? Careful revving without a clutch drum to hold the clutch together.

I went through some similar diagnosis problems a few weeks ago. It ended up being piston slap and wrist pin bearing. Your probably gonna need to pull the cyl.

Not sure if I want to fool with it if it's that bad. I watched a guy take one of these apart one time and swore i never would. Who know I may get a wild hair.

I'd say bad clutch drum bearing. You said you removed the sprocket. But was it a rim, or spur with the drum attached? Careful revving without a clutch drum to hold the clutch together.

No it was not a rim setup. There was no drum bearing on it as I had taken it off. Yep, definitely careful bout revving they start to smoke quick. ;)

What happen to Just2fast :confused:

Not sure if I want to fool with it if it's that bad. I watched a guy take one of these apart one time and swore i never would. Who know I may get a wild hair.

No it was not a rim setup. There was no drum bearing on it as I had taken it off. Yep, definitely careful bout revving they start to smoke quick. ;)

What happen to Just2fast :confused:

Smoke?????

Wow!!!

All of the cowboys went out the back door, I guess.....

So can anyone elaborate on the removal of the starter assy, and the sprocket off of a "running" 029?

I have to admit, I have never tried it......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Wow!!!

All of the cowboys went out the back door, I guess.....

So can anyone elaborate on the removal of the starter assy, and the sprocket off of a "running" 029?

I have to admit, I have never tried it......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

We need vid's on this one

Pulling apart a running saw would be a great GTG activity. Whoever could "Muntz" (look it up) their saw the best by keeping it running with the fewest components would win.

Am I missing something here????

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I removed the bar, chain, and sprocket. I THEN started the saw and removed the starter while it was running to see if whatever was chattering would stop. I hope this clears up any confusion. I was just trying to eliminate all variables of what might have been chattering. So, I was looking at a bare flywheel and a spinning clutch at idle. After all this was done, there was no change in the chatter. The smoke comment was a joke. I never revved the saw without the sprocket.

If you rev a saw up with no drum over the clutch the shoes can open up far enough to hit the saw case or brake band. It can #### things up in a hurry especially on an 029 where it's all plastic.

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I removed the bar, chain, and sprocket. I THEN started the saw and removed the starter while it was running to see if whatever was chattering would stop. I hope this clears up any confusion. I was just trying to eliminate all variables of what might have been chattering. So, I was looking at a bare flywheel and a spinning clutch at idle. After all this was done, there was no change in the chatter. The smoke comment was a joke. I never revved the saw without the sprocket.

If you rev a saw up with no drum over the clutch the shoes can open up far enough to hit the saw case or brake band. It can #### things up in a hurry especially on an 029 where it's all plastic.

You must have quit reading.

Could it be something in the muffler or the wire in the oil pump gear. I had a man to give me an 029 several years ago. To look at it there was nothing wrong with it. When I got home I decided to crank it. It cranked on the normal numbers of pulls, but when it cranked the noise was so loud I thought it was going to explode.
I decided that it had to be a crank bearing bad so I completely disassembiled it and could not find anything wrong.
The next time I was at the saw shop I asked the manager if he had any ideas. He said that normally the first thing he would do was remove the clutch. I came home, reassembled the saw, removed the clutch, cranked the saw and it ran find. The wire on the oil drive gear was bend and hitting something or something was hitting it. I replaced the gear and everything was fine. Tom

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful post Tom!

I had not pulled the muffler yet, but I think it is slapping
DSCF1396_zpsefa06b8f.jpg

Pretty good scratch.
DSCF1400_zps981daf82.jpg

Hmmmmm????

Aaron,,, I'm wondering,,, Do you speak from experience:blob2::laugh::monkey:

Last edited:
Back