029 tore down...any tips for getting it cleaned up for re-assy ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Applehead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
attachment.php
Any tricks for cleaning up the mating surface/ general case area before installing the new jug kit ? Pretty tight in there..

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sleeve doesn't look to bad, only scratches are on the exhaust side.
Piston , not so good.

Gasket/paint stripper , small chisel for the gasket stuff.
Simple green n air for the dirt .
:confused:

I would reinstall the old piston and cylinder so you can at least remove the clutch and flywheel, if not the bottom pan as well, then you can clean it all up properly...

You will also need to remove the rear bar stud to get the pan out. I would do this after you install the old piston and cylinder back on and take the clutch and flywheel off. While you have it tore down this far, I would replace the crank seals. I use Dirko to apply the pan back to the cylinder.

I would reinstall the old piston and cylinder so you can at least remove the clutch and flywheel, if not the bottom pan as well, then you can clean it all up properly...

You don't want all of that cleaner and crud getting stuck up in your bearings.

What he said ^

Plus it's a PITA to install the top end on these saws with the bottom half of the crank still attached to the tank assembly. I'd pull the rest of it out, then clean it all in mineral spirits. Then, reassemble the long block and bolt it up with the tank assembly.

Thanks all , this 029 is my first saw tear down. I appreciate the guidance.
I will post some pics as I progress..two more noob questions ..
Torque value on the cyl bolts ?
Ring gap for the 49 mm piston ?
:cheers:

Ring gap?? Check Sefh3 signature line and you'll find an excellent thread on tearing down and reassembling the 029 class of saws. You're doing fine on the tear-down. Take the advice given and remove the pan etc... It'll make things go much smoother. Oh, and pick up a Meteor piston from Northwoodsaws (site sponsor), they come with Caber rings already. Make sure arrow on top of piston points towards exhaust port.

Last edited:
Ring gap?? Check Sefh3 signature line and you'll find an excellent thread on tearing down and reassembling the 029 class of saws. You're doing fine on the tear-down. Take the advice given and remove the pan etc... It'll make things go much smoother. Oh, and pick up a Meteor piston from Northwoodsaws (site sponsor), they come with Caber rings already. Make sure arrow on top of piston points towards exhaust port.

Thanks,
ring gap -space measurement between the ring ends when compressed; needs to be filed to certain spec. depending on bore dia. with some aftermarket pistons on snowmobiles.

attachment.php

I got her down some more, left the brake assy intact, doesn't seem to need removal.
While in there I found the oil pump was not connected to the intake line ,and the clutch had worn a hole in the line also.
Have the ring compressor coming from the dealer.
I need to order the replacement parts, but I have a few questions before I order....
The 49 mm kit .
1. Will I need to change out any other 029 parts to make it work ? carb ?
2. NW offers two crank seal sets for the same saw, I'm guessing the larger designed for split cases is the correct one , the smaller set presses in for seal failures. ?
:Eye::Eye:

attachment.php

I got her down some more, left the brake assy intact, doesn't seem to need removal.
While in there I found the oil pump was not connected to the intake line ,and the clutch had worn a hole in the line also.
Have the ring compressor coming from the dealer.
I need to order the replacement parts, but I have a few questions before I order....
The 49 mm kit .
1. Will I need to change out any other 029 parts to make it work ? carb ?
2. NW offers two crank seal sets for the same saw, I'm guessing the larger designed for split cases is the correct one , the smaller set presses in for seal failures. ?
:Eye::Eye:

Sounds like it may have been running loose...........

mm

attachment.php

Almost done ; clutch parts came in & she sounds nasty. I like it.

Finis

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Not a bad looker..

Fun project, parts missing and installed backwards..yeeha! I do appreciate all the knowledge the AS chainsaw experts/freaks share here. :rock: Now the everpresent dillema of flip it or run it... ? or perhaps look for that dumpster troll so fondly speaks of..

Latest posts

Back