031 with odd chain brake design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I really try to stay away from the 031 saws with points as I like them very little. However, this one time a fellow brought one and said the chain will not turn. I said,"Well lets have a look". Looked it over and thought what a sorry chain brake design. Of course this is my opinion, but I guess it was one of Stihls first attempts. Odd little break never the less. The chain break consists of a locking type hub system that is integrated with the clutch. When the chain break is engaged a little shoe holds the drum and a little detente disengages the locking system in the clutch. It is a little odd hearing the saw run with the break on as it just revs free. Wish I had some pictures of it to share.

I believe you are talking about an isolating clutch. Not very many functional ones around anymore. If it is complete and works post a few pics if you can. Pictures of these are kind of difficult to find too. It would be a good resource for here, as a discussion about these comes up occasionally.

Last edited:
I have one one my bench right now how funny. First run indeed with raised letters and very rare with clear hand break lever not black. I'll restore any of those I can get. Yes it has a drum with arm that hooks into clear handle very old school and collectable. Condenser goes just install a WIMA chip in those old points saws:hmm3grin2orange:

I just sold one of these 031AV's to a memeber here not long ago. Had the white/clear CB handle, mounted on a 'raised letter' top cover. The clutch cover was slotted for the arm, and had the bosses for the pivot pins. The rest of the brake and isolating clutch stuff had been removed decades ago.

The saw has a conventional clutch setup on it now. That's how I got the saw in the early '80s. The back of the opperator's manual has the IPL for both non-brake and brake equipped (with the iso clutch) saws.

Quick Stop

That type of brake cover is not designed for a standard 3-shoe clutch, as the friction shoe area is way too small. Yours sounds like the isolating Quick Stop clutch that use these parts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back