031av issues.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Smoot

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend gave me an 031av basket case that belonged to his uncle. Rebuilt the carb. Cleaned and set points. Has great fire and compression. I have pulled till I'm blue in the face and it won't even pop. I've tried putting gas in the carb I even pulled a no no and sprayed starting fluid in it. Nothing will make it pop. Any ideas. I tried the search but nothing seems to help.

Also piston looks great no scoring. If you squeezing the trigger while pulling you get a mist of gas coming from the carb if that helps any.

ah yes sucked in by another 031....you can have decent spark but once in the cylinder against compression pressure if the ignition system in weak it can't jump the gap....gas out the carb....could be a fuel issue piston could be in backwards but shouldn't keep it from running.....sort of. Ck out the ignition remove the plastic inspection plug in flywheel and ck point gap.....012-.014 will do get a new plug....ck the metal end that goes on the plug they burn back over time where the barb digs in and that will give ya real fits.....the list goes on and on these saws really run when there up to par and the stars are aligned but when they go off.....tears of pain.

have fun your gonna learn a lot!

You checking spark with an inline tester or just plug against thing case trick? Spark issues are the plague of those saws. Other than that they are a pretty solid old saw. Also seen quite a few that the fuel line seemed to be in great shape but was deteriorating internally and sending tiny pieces through the carb causing random flooding issues

Get a Nova II module and do away with the points. Set it to negative ground and you'll never have problems again. The cost about $20.

Very easy to install. I put mine under the flywheel. There is probably a 1/2" gap under the flywheel to the bottom housing. Fits there. It gets screwed down so it's grounded. The positive lead comes off the module and goes back to ground. The negative lead goes to your coil, as does the shutoff wire. Thats it. That's literally it. Take all the points and stuff out because you no longer need them. No timing, no anything. Its an electronic ignition. Mine has had one since I rebuilt it a few years ago without issue.

Very easy to install. I put mine under the flywheel. There is probably a 1/2" gap under the flywheel to the bottom housing. Fits there. It gets screwed down so it's grounded. The positive lead comes off the module and goes back to ground. The negative lead goes to your coil, as does the shutoff wire. Thats it. That's literally it. Take all the points and stuff out because you no longer need them. No timing, no anything. Its an electronic ignition. Mine has had one since I rebuilt it a few years ago without issue.
OK. Thanks. I'll try that.

Back