034 clutch blew up!! Think oil pump is salvagable, this time.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonecountry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,
A story and a couple questions. This weekend my father was blocking a little wood with his 034. While in a block it started making an awful noise and came to a halt, He said that he couldnt hear anything over the noise of the saw with a helmet and muffs on to give him any warning, until it came apart. While stripping it down he found the clutch had come apart and ground a deep groove into the oil pump and ripped the hose off too.

This has happened once before to him probably about 4-5 years ago and that time it was the same thing, he didnt hear anything until it was too late. The first time the clutch cut a groove through the oil pump and even tore the steel nipple that the hose goes onto, out of the pump. This time he says its fine in that way. And he should be fine with a new clutch and a hose. The first time he replaced the clutch with what the Stihl dealer sold to be the right part.

My questions are: Is there possibly a different part # clutch assem. that was redesigned or just another one (from an 036 or others maybe???) that will work fine in this saw? My father is not hard on his saw or nor does he neglect them. It just seems strange that this has happened twice to the same saw, he has never had anything like this go wrong with any of his older saws like his 630 Jonsered or his old Stihl 08. So I dont think it is him. Is this a common problem and have you guys seen this happen before? What can be done/changed to avoid this? :confused:

Thanks alot for your help :cheers:

P.S. I havent seen this yet. I was just talking to him on the phone this evening.

Last edited:
Yes.. if you put a clutch on from a later 036 AND the BIG protective washer, it will all work a lot better... a big bearing updated clutch drum is a fine addition also.

If you're buying used, make sure the clutch AND washer are from the same saw/set.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Could you send me part #'s? That way I can give them to my father and have him order what he should have to fix this problem and not just what the saw calls for OEM.

Oh yea would your PN's be the same as canadian?

036:
Clutch: 1125 160 2006
Cover Washer: 1128 162 1001
Rim sprocket kit: 1125 007 1041

Stihl does offer a protected version for the 034. It might be safer to order these. It's the same clutch used on the 029, MS290, MS310 and MS340.

Cover washer - 1127 162 1000
Clutch - 1127 160 2051
Rim Sprocket kit - 1125 007 1041

Would there be any benefit to running the 036 clutch as long as we got all the parts to match.

You said it might be safer to order the others, just wondering why.

Thanks alot Lake :greenchainsaw:

"Safer" meaning fit... because I have't seen your saw, or know the exact vintage etc...

The 034 parts will work fine and give you the same pump protection.

OK thanks Lake, I'll give him the numbers and tell him to stick with the 034, 029, 290, 310, 340 ones you posted. Im sure he will appreciate the pump protection incase there is ever a next time. :givebeer:

I'm not sure of the vintage either. He had bought this saw and another one in a box from a guy who packed up and moved away about 8 or 9 years ago. So Im guessing the saw is mid 90's.

Thanks Jon

Latest posts

Back