034 runs but not great power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Definitive Dave

wanna-be saw racer, saw hoarder, parts whore
Reaction score
the voices in my head tell me to buy chainsaws
I don't remember where this saw came from but it starts easy runs fine, oils properly.
It ahs set on the shelf while dozens of bigger more expensive saws found new homes.
I was thinking that it was just weak when run compared to MS361, 044, 064 etc. but today I did a compression check and it is only blowing 132 which seems too low. Everything original and nice/clean till I see the cylinder which is a bright shiny replacement, no idea of manufacturer.
I peaked at the piston and it looks fine through the exhaust.
I though of throwing a meteor 036 jug on it but decide to check squish first.
It didn't crush the solder, so I found some bigger solder again nothing, I finally found some pretty stout looking solder and it measured .0046!!! An Ebay customer bought my last 036 cylinder kit while I was messing around, so I am thinking maybe eliminate the base gasket give it Cabers and OEM circlips. Just wondering what a good squish is on this saw, I suspect the aftermarket jug is 036 instead of 034 but all the plastic still line up nicely.
Thanks in advance
Dave

Hey dave did you mean .046.the gasket should be 1mm or roughly .04. removing it would mean your squish will only be .006 which would be a head banger. A .5mm gasket would get you at .026 roughly which would be close to the .020 that you would want.

Stock 036's i just use the .5mm gasket.without it they're too close.i got .015 on one without the gasket.

Stock 036's i just use the .5mm gasket.without it they're too close.i got .015 on one without the gasket.

+1 the thinner gasket would be my first line solution. Unless you're just dying to put a Meteor top end on this saw?

Mine's an 034 super (same as 036). I deleted the base gasket (oem cylinder) and had around .020" squish. Left original rings on it with .015 end gap and it has 155 psi compression. Should have replaced the rings but wanted to see what it would do with that gap. Cuts strong but I'll replace them next year or so

Latest posts

Back