034av leaking gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstyear50

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hope i don't catch crap for not tearing into it first before i post, but would like to know what to look for before i start breaking it down. been cutting with my old 034 for about a week now. i got it from an owner who let it sit for a while. i anticipated having to put a carb kit in it, but when i got it it ran great... well the other day i took it out and started cuting and it started to have a pretty steady drip of gas coming from around the carb. turned it off and the drip stopped. started it back up and sure enough, it started to pour again. what could be causing this? i wouldn't think a carb kit would fix the amount of gas coming out, but then again, i've never had to put a carb kit in so i don't really know how much they fix. any help or tips of what to look for would be great.

thanks

Stop running it until you resolve the problem. It is likely that you have a hole in the fuel line or the fuel line is not fitting tightly on the intake nipple.

yea, i haven't ran it since. i just stared it the once to confirm the problem. the only issue with this is that i can't really see where the leak comes from with out it running. but i guess it can't hurt to replace the lines anyway, seeing as how it sat for a while. i'll start with that and leave the carb alone for now.
thanks

Make sure the nuts holding the carb on are tight. If so, replace the fuel line and I would throw a carb kit in it for assurance.

Make sure the nuts holding the carb on are tight. If so, replace the fuel line and I would throw a carb kit in it for assurance.

how difficult is installing a carb kit on such small carb. i've watche videos of them being installed on other farm equipment. but never seen it done on a saw. im not the steadiest person in the world. but if its easy, then you're right it really wouldn't hurt..

Less than 10 minutes. Take it apart and lay everything out in order of disassembly. Clean it good with carb cleaner or an ultrasonic cleaner. Check metering lever to assure it's adjusted properly. Reinstall new parts.

Less than 10 minutes. Take it apart and lay everything out in order of disassembly. Clean it good with carb cleaner or an ultrasonic cleaner. Check metering lever to assure it's adjusted properly. Reinstall new parts.

Trigger happy.....

Click on carb rebuild 101 in my signature line. It explains it all there.

thanks for the help! for the extra 30 bucks or whatever a carb kit is, i think im gonna try it. i'll let you guys know how it goes!
The carb kit should be about half that...$12-18...or you're getting ripped off.

But don't be surprised if the Stihl dealer asks that amount..!!

There's plenty of other places to buy online...but you'll have wait on shipping..
:cheers:
J2F

3eba762cd621ff2bdae7a3a5b1b8bce2.jpg

anybody know where i can get just this gasket? pay no attention to the dust, it will be cleaned before i put it back on. some how, the gasket just got worn...

went to the dealer for a carb kit, the lady there said it would be $32 plus tax... on to ebay i went. after just doing a general search i found that none of the pictures shown for the 034 carb kits match what my gasket looks like. the one i did find was for the 044, and looks to match. can any one verify this, or is there a way i can?

CARB CARBURETOR REBUILD KIT FOR STIHL 044 CHAINSAW WITH ZAMA REPLACES RB-36 | eBay

When looking for kits you must have the brand and model of the carburetor itself - sometimes the same model saw can have different OEM carburetors. It should be stamped onto the side of the carburetor, both the name and model number. If you're not sure, post up a photo or list everything that is stamped on the carb.

If your carb is a Zama RB36 then the kit you posted should work

I just bought a carb rebuild kit for an 034 from my local Stihl dealer and it cost me $16 and a little change after tax. They're extremely simple to rebuild. I ended up taking my saw in for them to get the correct kit. Mine had an extra gasket (probably for the outlet of the carb) which wasn't needed on my particular one...

Latest posts

Back