036 choke rod and switch shaft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redunshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Both of the above items seem extremely loose. When I choke the saw the choke rod is pushed out of the left side notch of the handle. Also the switch shaft flops around and isn't very tight. I hope to heck that the slots for both items aren't enlarged! If so, I wonder if there is a fix or do I need to buy a tank assembly.

A weak point of some 1125s, yep.
The choke has its own recess which you mentioned. You can try a new choke rod (they bend and can wear), but it may not stop from popping out if that plastic is badly worn or broken. Melting can work as suggested.
I’ve had luck replacing everything (contact spring, master control, etc.) for those “loose” saws.

Plenty of wear on that spring, but it still works. I replace them if they are slightly worse than that, don’t engage the kill wire, or lose their “spring” completely (AM do this a lot).
The choke rod area- see if a new rod helps before you try another step. It could be possible to mechanically fasten the rod and still allow movement (rotation). There’s enough space over there under the cover to engineer something.
I’ve purchased saws with wire holding the master control in place. The plastic was wallowed but the wire held enough tension for it to work. That saw cuts a lot of wood for us.

The choke rod came and it seems to work. Doesn't pop out at least. Noticed that the choke doesn't completely close b ut more like 90%. Still waiting for the switch shaft. heading to Vermont for deer season today, so it'll have to wait. Well, actually going to sit on the porch with a beer and wait for the deer to pass by.

The choke rod came and it seems to work. Doesn't pop out at least. Noticed that the choke doesn't completely close b ut more like 90%. ...
Do you have trouble starting it with the choke not properly working? I replaced the plastic rod on my 038 and I don't think the choke is working. Takes about 30 pulls to get it started.

The spring easily gets distorted on those. For some reason they do not work together with the shaft without the air filter installed and if the choke is forced down , often distorts the spring. I've older models that the choke wouldn't fully close unless the air box was loosened and lifted up a bit also. And I have an 026 will only close fully if i can hold the choke lever all the way down while pulling the rope.
I think your best bet is try a new carfully installed spring, don't force the lever down, install filter, it should work. If it doesn't close well with the air box on , experiment with it off, may need to lift it up a bit on cold starts.
Might be more to it but I'd try that first.

I have a red master handle 034 that I had to replace the spring but also drill a small hole through the bottom of the master shaft post on the thumb side. then run a loop o 030 safety wire over the rod to pull it all together a tighten it up....it works well but as stated above can take some tweeking to get he choke closed all the way.

good luck

the can

Back