036 pro loading up at high revs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlaMan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I took my fathers 036 in for a cleaning for a fathers day gift and it has went down hill since.
first of the i removed about 3 years worth of dust from the saw then changed the plug and sprocket. when i got everything back together i fired it up and let it warm up. Cut a few cookies with it and everything was fine once again. Went back over today to do some light limbing with the 036 and noticed that when you come off of idle to wot that the saw loads up with gas(waaay to rich) so I stopped what I was doing and checked the H/L screws they were at 1 1/2 turns.

This is what has me baffled the saw ran fine the day before. Maybe it just doesnt like being clean.

Is it possible for the coil to be crap n out in the high rpm's. It has spark with the plug out. How do you test a coil?

Sounds to me something is going wrong in your carb. Bad diaphram or inlet needle. I'd start with installing a carb kit,check and replace your fuel lines and vent line if necessary. Sittin for 3 years deteriates a shrinks some of these parts. Diaphrams get hard etc..

Sounds to me something is going wrong in your carb. Bad diaphram or inlet needle. I'd start with installing a carb kit,check and replace your fuel lines and vent line if necessary. Sittin for 3 years deteriates a shrinks some of these parts. Diaphrams get hard etc..

The saw has not been sittin for 3 years just 3 years worth of dust and bar oil.

I had a little time today to look at the saw. From what I could se carb. appeared o.k. My local stihl dealer didn't even have a carb kit in stock. went ahead and replaced the fuel line and filter and also the impulse hose. tank vent was clean also. Carb boot didn't have any signs of wear either.

This saw in particular has ran without problems since my father bought it new even up till just the other day after I cleaned it. Hell the thing will sit and idle fine it if moved from side to side and shakin all about it just wont hit WOT with out four stroking and boggin out bad(no matter where the H neddle is).

Did you check the gap on the new plug? Have you put the old plug back into the saw and tested? I have seen the odd bad new plug!

Latest posts

Back