038 AV Mag questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fields_mj

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I reciently purchased a used Stihl 038 AV Magnum, and I'm curious as to what I should anticipate out of the saw. I've been reading posts about them on here for a few weeks, and it sounds like these are some very durable, and powerfull saws. Something that I've always appreciated about the older Stihl saws :) I understand that the saw is on the heavy side, but that's okay with me because I have an 024 AV for the lighter stuff. I've downloaded the manual from the Stihl web site, so I don't need the specs. I'm just curious about things I should watch out for. Also, if anyone can tell me what years they made the 038 AV Magnum, I'd appreciate it.

I cut my teeth years ago on an 041 farm boss. I swear we ran that thing from here to Texas and back every year for over 20 years. After college I spent the next 15 years or so living in the city (and trying to get out). Now that I'm back out in rural america, I'm getting ready to put a wood furnace back in our house, and I'm planning on using the 038 to do most of the work. I'm almost 34 so I figure I still have a few good years left before the weight becomes an issue ;) The game plan is to get several loads of dead oak/ash/hickory cut this winter/spring so that it's ready to go for next year.

What's the scoop on chains these days? On saws this size, do the brands of bars/chains make much difference? The saw currently has a 20" aftermarket bar (I think - no Stihl logo). We used to use a lot of Oregon products, and I see that Baily's sells a dozen different brands of stuff (or so it seems). Dad and I both run Stihl chains and bars on our current saws (his 028 AV and my 024 AV), but since he got rid of the old wood furnace (when I went to college), we only cut 3 or 4 truck loads of wood a year. So the bars and chains are lasting forever. When we burned wood as our primairy heat source, I remember he'd go through at least 2 Oregon chains a year. What about carbide? I've heard a few guys swear by them. Not sure if others swear at them or not. I just know that I can't touch them with a file!

Thanks,
Mark

superfire

superfire

Addicted to ArboristSite

oiler gears and fuel lines and impulse hose. run a 24 bar and full skip chain and you will be impressed. these are the best firewood saw made in the 80's.
:givebeer:

Brushwacker

Brushwacker

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I reciently purchased a used Stihl 038 AV Magnum, and I'm curious as to what I should anticipate out of the saw. I've been reading posts about them on here for a few weeks, and it sounds like these are some very durable, and powerfull saws. Something that I've always appreciated about the older Stihl saws :) I understand that the saw is on the heavy side, but that's okay with me because I have an 024 AV for the lighter stuff. I've downloaded the manual from the Stihl web site, so I don't need the specs. I'm just curious about things I should watch out for. Also, if anyone can tell me what years they made the 038 AV Magnum, I'd appreciate it.

I cut my teeth years ago on an 041 farm boss. I swear we ran that thing from here to Texas and back every year for over 20 years. After college I spent the next 15 years or so living in the city (and trying to get out). Now that I'm back out in rural america, I'm getting ready to put a wood furnace back in our house, and I'm planning on using the 038 to do most of the work. I'm almost 34 so I figure I still have a few good years left before the weight becomes an issue ;) The game plan is to get several loads of dead oak/ash/hickory cut this winter/spring so that it's ready to go for next year.

What's the scoop on chains these days? On saws this size, do the brands of bars/chains make much difference? The saw currently has a 20" aftermarket bar (I think - no Stihl logo). We used to use a lot of Oregon products, and I see that Baily's sells a dozen different brands of stuff (or so it seems). Dad and I both run Stihl chains and bars on our current saws (his 028 AV and my 024 AV), but since he got rid of the old wood furnace (when I went to college), we only cut 3 or 4 truck loads of wood a year. So the bars and chains are lasting forever. When we burned wood as our primairy heat source, I remember he'd go through at least 2 Oregon chains a year. What about carbide? I've heard a few guys swear by them. Not sure if others swear at them or not. I just know that I can't touch them with a file!

Thanks,
Mark

Forget carbide chain unless you like spending a lot of money for little advantage + they are slower cutting then a sharp standard chain and will stretch as bad. Best to learn and keep the chain sharp or carry spares and rotate sharp chains. Semi chisel is easiar to keep sharp especially hand filing.
A Windsor sprocketnose bar from Baileys served me well, Oregon is probably comprible and I aim to try a Carlton 24" from Bailey's my self and see if it is a good one or not unless I hear they are not so good here or something. I salvage a lot of bars off parts saws and end up mostly with Stihl brand bars and must say they are tough and very reliable. Several other good brands but I had a couple cheaper GB off ebay that had soft metal that quickly wore a groove behind the nose in both. Tsumara & Total have lasted well for me also.
24 " skip is what I had on a 038 mag that I run a short while. I had a 7 tooth sprocket and tons of power but it wasn't very fuel efficient and chain speed seemed slow. I think I'd like it better with an 8 tooth sprocket unless I needed the power to pull a bigger bar. I feel its more for bucking verses its limbing abilities.

fields_mj

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Thanks for the replies! That's what I was looking for. What's the advantage of a semi skip, or full skip chain? I figured it would be a lot better to have more teeth in the wood. I'll be cutting mainly hickory, oak, and ash with some occational walnut, cherry, elm, and maple, and I'll be using the 20" bar that's on the saw assuming that there's nothing wrong with it.

Thanks again,
Mark