038 mag squish check

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big t double

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
im rebuilding a 038 mag with an oem jug/slug...decided i would check the squish to see if the base gasket was worth ditching. the way i checked was four pieces of solder, two parallel with wrist pins and one each pointing toward ex. and in. now i did not pull the rings because it never fails ill break one and didn't wanna wait to get one in just in case they backorder, i wanna cut with this thing this weekend. so anyways, on average, with the base gasket, my squish was .041 with .037 the low and .044 the high...my question is for anyone thats rebuilt an 038 mag and checked....does this seem unusually high?? recommend i check again??...ive spent about a half hour searching and really havent come up with much...the base gasket is about .019 so i checked w/o it and came up with an average of about .023 which from what ive read on this site should be a nice number :rock:. no free porting happening that i could see so i should be good to seal it up w/o the gasket and be ok. thanks for anyone that feels like chiming in before i seal this up and run it :clap:

Latest posts

Back