038 magnum or 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redunshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking into getting one of the above Stihls. Do any Stihl gurus have a preference? Wish I could say I was going to use it frequently but I've just got the bug to get one.

bigger the better in some cases but by personally owning and using a 044 i wouldn't trade it ever.now i think i use it more than my 260 or 034 av super so buy it the 044

Both saws are legends and are stihl used today. I've never ran a 038 but love the 044/440 saws. There is not a better 70cc saw made than the 044/440 imo.

These 2 come up a lot as being compared along with the 044 or 046 choice. The 038 magnum has similiar power to the 044 but more low end torque. The 038 will keep cutting buried in wood. The 044 is a little newer design as compared to 038 series. Faster starts and quicker response. Weight not really a factor, and IMO helps the 038 dig through wood, just set in a log and hold the trigger. Both are nice saws. I think 038 parts might start to get a bit harder to find, but 044 parts will be around a while. Also the 038 does not have the side bar adjuster, small pet peeve of mine. I like 'em both. Tough choice to make between the 2, but they will both get the job done.

038's are built like brick #### houses however their filtration is a little weak and they tend to be heavy. (almost close to 066 weight territory)

044's have better power to weight ratios and are a little more refined.

Both of these saws are among the best Stihl has every produced and they have wonderful reputations. Parts are easy to find.

The 044/440 is far and away a better saw, you'll be able to get parts for the foreseeable future, they're easier to work on, they rev higher. The 038 is a neat saw to have in your collection but I wouldn't carry around that boat anchor all day.

will the 038 really be hard to get parts for? It's still in production as the MS381, and has been out a very long time.
From what I hear, the 038 may be built a bit better (heavier), but the 044 has a definite edge on performance

I have an 038 mag and cut firewood with it. I have no problem with the weight (it's all I've got, so I better be ok with it!:greenchainsaw:). I has plenty of power and has been very reliable. I recently replaced rings and seals in it and the parts were easy to get and the saw is VERY easy to work on. There are still a lot of 038s around, that should tell you something about the saw. I have not run an 044 so I can't compare the two, but I can tell you that if you are looking for a saw in this range and come across a good deal for an 038 mag, you will be happy with it.

will the 038 really be hard to get parts for? It's still in production as the MS381, and has been out a very long time.
From what I hear, the 038 may be built a bit better (heavier), but the 044 has a definite edge on performance

Yes it may still be in production abroad BUT, we are only able to order what's available from our US Stihl Distrobutors. I doesn't matter that they may still sell 100,000 units of the MS381 abroad, we in the US can't order parts from foriegn Stihl sources only our regional Stihl distro. I just got the new CD with obsolete parts numbers and 40-1119 (038) series part numbers been discontinued. And Stihl's policy is to continue making parts for 10 years after production of model has stopped.

will the 038 really be hard to get parts for?

No, I think Bailey's has every 038 part or assembly. In fact I think you can build a complete 038 from their aftermarket parts offering.

OEM and used parts are abundant on Ebay.

i may be a husqy guy but i have alot of stihl guys talkin at me and some experience runnin stihls.

i have an 038 mag, love it! dont notice that its much heavier than my 372.

if i were to buy a newer stihl i would get the 046. for the difference in power and weight and price i think its worth the jump to the bigger saw.

power to weight ratio of 044 is .388
power to weight ratio of 046 is .395
that is hp/lbs

i like the 038, i like the 046, i would stay away from a 044 cause id rather have one of the other two. infact i wouldnt mind haveing both of the other two. thats just me though.............

Latest posts

Back