041 av brake problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubby

Reaction score
I just bought a 041av that is in good condition. The previous owner ran the saw before I bought it and everything sounded great. Brought it home cleaned it put the bar and chain back on, ran it and heard a little rattle and wouldn't drive the chain in the middle brake setting, but when I pull the brake all the way up or back toward the handle it engages fine. As the saw decelerates is when I hear the rattle. Maybe I dislodged something cleaning,or put the cover with the brake back on wrong I don't know, please help can't wait to try this saw out. Thanks!

Don't know what the 'middle' brake setting is about they are either on or off. Sounds like you are trying to run the saw with the brake on. Check you've not dislodged a clutch spring or maybe have a broken one as the cause behind the rattle.

Pull all the way back to release the brake fully, you should also hear it click

Don't know what the 'middle' brake setting is about they are either on or off. Sounds like you are trying to run the saw with the brake on. Check you've not dislodged a clutch spring or maybe have a broken one as the cause behind the rattle.

Pull all the way back to release the brake fully, you should also hear it click
How Can I tell if the clutch spring is OK?

041 saws had two different brakes available. The most common is a metal band that tightens around the sprocket. The least common style is the "isolating clutch" where a cam arm locks a slide mounted onto the clutch. I've had both styles-the isolating clutch one can be hard to find parts for.

The springs are mounted between the clutch shoes/pads in the clutch. Pop off your cover and you will the clutch sitting inside of the sprocket. There will be 3 shoes, and 3 tensioner springs between them.

Post photos if you can

The Washer behind the ( the oil pump drive washer) clutch will rattle a little that's normal ,just like a 032 will rattle at idle

Latest posts

Back