041 Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastsider

Reaction score
Looking for advice. Have an 041 Super. My dad bought the saw new and it is in nice condition. A housing cracked some years back and rattled the carb loose. He noticed it immediately and replaced the housing. The saw never idled down properly after the problem and he quit using it 5 years ago. I now have the saw. I cleaned it and put new gas in it and it fired right up but again it wont idle down properly. Ideas, suggestions?

An engine that won't idle down is a sign of an air leak somewhere. Check all gaskets and connections from the carb to the cylinder.(carb gasket, rubber boot, cyl. gasket etc.) The engine is getting unmetered air from somewhere. If the leak is not too bad and the saw will run ok, you can try to spray the suspected areas with carb cleaner to help isolate the leak. Good luck and hope this helps.

It takes 3-4 gaskets under the 041 super carb. The super gaskets are larger. There is one under the heat shield. I used 5mm longer studs for the carb. Replace the 2 4mm rubber lines. Use red locktite on every thing on a 041.

My first saw was an 041 Super, a performer in its day...

After a while, it started behaving as described and actually sucked in the gasket above the heat insulating block (below carb). Replaced the gasket and had the whole thing happen again.

I figured there had to be a problem with a mating surface somewhere between the bottom of the carb, what I recall as a plastic plate that formed the bottom of the clean air volume, and the heat insulating block. Sure enough, the top of the insulating block was not flat, it was low between the carb mounting studs.

To fix it, I think I put a large single-cut mill bastard file on a firm surface and moved the block over the file, being careful to exert even force across the block and to clean the file frequently. The block is about an inch thick and I think it was something like Bakelite (but tougher) with two aluminum sleeves molded in for the studs to pass through.

With the heat block now flat and all new gaskets, that problem was over. This was back in about 1979, so I hope I'm remembering correctly. Anyway, I hope you can get that 041 S running well.

The various 041 versions were pretty good saws, but they certainly were shaky compared to later saws, so keep an eye out for screws coming loose. Maybe even use some Loktite. I always carried some spare screws on the fireline.

Latest posts

Back