044/046 conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the saw out for a test run today, and thought I took a video. Turns out the video was only a second long. It ran good though, couldnt be happier with it. I will try again for a video in a couple of days, and hopefully it will be longer than a second.

Finely got a video longer than a second LOL. Here it is with a 8 pin rim and a freshly sharpened chain( by me, so it dosnt mean much) in some oak. I think I still have it pretty rich, but it seems to be doing pretty good. Compression after about 1 tank is just under 170psi.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_m8a8s707Jw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kXCt_MdI4zM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks!!! Looking forward to seeing how it cuts after its broken in. After that......its time to learn how to port:help:.

Havnt been able to use the saw much, but I have about 5ish tanks through it now. Seems to be running well I think. Thinking about pulling the top end off again and trying to port it. Had it out today and took a quick video of it. Still has a 8 pin rim, but this time I tried it in some bigger wood. Cant really lean on it with the 8 pin, but seems to cut pretty well.

[video=youtube_share;dky6_4_dwbg]http://youtu.be/dky6_4_dwbg[/video]

Cool video. I still havent found a 460 slug/jug for my 440 yet. if you dont mind me asking what did you pay for yours? Asuming it was used.

I got the the jug and slug as a combo deal on ebay, and it was just around 50ish$. Said the plug threads were stripped, and when I got it they were buggered but hold the plug just fine. For now I am leaving it as is, seems to be doing just fine.

theres couple new stihl mahle 460 p/c kits in ebay right now for 250. high but still cheaper then going to the dealer and the fact that you are getting a mahle p/c.

Hey there Brian 13 , I'm Brian lol
I was wondering if u could repost those pics of this build. It would be very much
Appreciated
Thank u

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I remember the last time I looked at the last 044 crankcase that the platform milled out was smaller than the base of the 046 cylinder. Did u file or mill the platform wider or did u take it out of the 046 cylinder base. And I remember that the crank was beefer on the 046 . How's the performance of ur 044/046 convention . Theses minor details are easily ignored and modified but I didn't attempt it cause I feared that the 046 crank was smaller and might fail with the extra power. If urs worked great I might go for it . I have the parts and tooling.

I made a base gasket out of a soda can, and filed the bolt holes to fit. As far as performance, it spooled up instantly and with a 7 tooth sprocket and sharp chain it would eat every thing I needed it to.

But the 046 jug is wider than the 044 base
I'll send u pics tomorrow to humor u
About I'm talking about . Perhaps ur 044 base was wide enough for it to work with out that modification.

But now this is game to me after talking to u, this should be fun

Great ! Now I'm doing the conversion for sure.
I will post to saw when finished

Thank u

There are other things you'll need to do as well.
You need to clearance the flywheel side of the jug at the transfer bulge.
Gonna have to trim the top cover.
Need spacers for the bottom muff bolts.

Sorry Brian, I misunderstood your question. My saw is apart right now because I lost a circlip while running. I took pictures of where I had to remove material and the spacers I uses for the muffler.
29ad7ea3474782e51fde635a513a5787.jpg
71814a4d21ff090524e591f37dd4a75b.jpg

Latest posts

Back