044 and Picco chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roy clarke

roy clarke

ArboristSite Lurker
I have a little used 044 that has only been used to drive a winch, however, I want to use it for milling on a logosol setup. To make the kerf small I want to use a Picco chain, but though the 066 is specified by Stihl to use a Picco chain, the 044 is not. Stihl won't tell me or Logosol what sprocket to use. I understand that the standard rim sprocket wrecks the Picco chain and I think I need to use a spur sprocket.

Does anyone know which (part no would be nice) sprocket works with the Picco chain on a 044?

Many thanks.

Haywire Haywood

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Are you talking about 3/8 low pro/.365 chain? Bailey's says it'll run on a standard 375 setup. I've never done it, but that's my plan for the 041 when I get around to ordering a couple loops.

Ian

yibida

yibida

ArboristSite Member
upsize

That amount of CC's would demolish such a small gauge chain, if your talking milling timber on a large saw, try a chipper style chain from 3/8 to .404 as a minimum, as end grain cutting on softwoods will be slow with anything less, some folk use a skip tooth as well or make thier own to speed up the process.

:greenchainsaw:

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Are you talking about 3/8 low pro/.365 chain? Bailey's says it'll run on a standard 375 setup. I've never done it, but that's my plan for the 041 when I get around to ordering a couple loops.

Ian

That is a bit odd, as the 660 Logosol comes with a special spur sprocket - but I don't know the correct answer either.....:confused:

The pitch actually is .367 on both the regular and the lo-pro, but the drive tangs has a different shape.

I have been looking for the final answer here myself for a while, as I want to try a logosol bar on the 372 for splitting firewood from the side (with regular 63PM, not PMX).

Last edited:
roy clarke

roy clarke

ArboristSite Lurker
That amount of CC's would demolish such a small gauge chain, if your talking milling timber on a large saw, try a chipper style chain from 3/8 to .404 as a minimum, as end grain cutting on softwoods will be slow with anything less, some folk use a skip tooth as well or make thier own to speed up the process.

:greenchainsaw:

That is one view, but the picco chain ie 3/8, 0.050" PMX chain is specified for use with a 066. I don't want to use a chain with a bigger kerf than necessary.

Mad Professor
That is one view, but the picco chain ie 3/8, 0.050" PMX chain is specified for use with a 066. I don't want to use a chain with a bigger kerf than necessary.

I run a logosol with 066 and pmx chain. I still do not understand why a rim sprocket wrecks the chain and you need to use a spur, which are very expensive. Anybody have ideas on this? Any brand 0.050 3/8 bar works with this chain. I use Sthil E (no sense in ES as bars wear out before tips). I need to add a water drip and maybe bar life will go up enough to make ES bars practical.

As long as you stay at 25 in. bar or less the pmx chain holds up well using an 066, so as long as you can get the correct sprocket the 044 should work fine just be a little slower in the cut. Be sure you do not take the rakers down too far adding more stress to the chain. I use Sthil E (no sense in ES as bars wear out before tips). I need to add a water drip and maybe bar life will go up enough to make ES bars practical.

The pmx is excellent for milling, smaller kerf = faster cut and surface of milled wood is VERY smooth. Major drawback is only USA source is logosol. Can you by this from sthil dealers in Europe and/or get rolls?

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
That is my point as well, with what I posted above.

Ripping blocks of wood from the side usually puts very little strain on the equipment.

MILLING?

I can't think of anything that puts more strain... Chains blunt in short order, engines are running continously at max HP... (most of that that HP is going into the chain) and if you ever look at the standing wave a chain makes as it whips around the tip....

Last edited:
bookerdog

bookerdog

The New Champ
I have used low pro chain successfully of bars up to 28inches of my 3120 milling. Its not recommended passed a certain cc but it seems to workout fine for me. One problem in longer bars is the amount of stretch with the low pro. I have snapped a couple but that was because the chain was pretty used up. I use baileys low pro ripping chain witch I think is the same as picco chain from stihl. Never have used a special sprocket.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
MILLING?

I can't think of anything that puts more strain... Chains blunt in short order, engines are running continously at max HP... (most of that that HP is going into the chain) and if you ever look at the standing wave a chain makes as it whips around the tip....

:jawdrop: Ripping wood blocks from the side, making those noodles, can hardly be defined as milling.....:)

....but the PMX is in fact made for milling with the MS660 etc, and standard on the 660 logosol, that is sold by Stihl here.

Is the PMX stronger than regular PM?

Last edited:
SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
I have used low pro chain successfully of bars up to 28inches of my 3120 milling. Its not recommended passed a certain cc but it seems to workout fine for me. One problem in longer bars is the amount of stretch with the low pro. I have snapped a couple but that was because the chain was pretty used up. I use baileys low pro ripping chain witch I think is the same as picco chain from stihl. Never have used a special sprocket.

Looks like the answer I was looking for!! :)

Last edited:
Jacob J.
A part number for the MS-440 7-tooth spur sprocket is 1128 640 2000. This may be superseded by now but probably not. You will do fine using Picco chain to mill with your 044. I have a furniture maker customer here using Picco chain on his 088 and it does fine, although he does break a chain once in a great while on a particularly hard cut, like walnut burls. On a side note- he dresses his bars using a cut-off wheel mounted in his tablesaw and works great.

Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
I Run Picco full time on MS260 Pro

I run .050 Picco on my MS260 ......you can still buy a 16" Picco 3003 bar mount (I had to order them) from Stihl. I also have bought two NOS, 3003 20" Picco bars. If you look at the warning libel (Chain break) on 026/260 & 361, it talks about the Picco chain.

I have tried Picco chain on a Sthil E bar....Chain dose not fit the nose
sprocket, sets to high on the sprocket to me. I did run the 20" Picco
bar on MS361 with a .375 8T rim for 1 tank. did not seem to hurt the
chain.

Last edited:
roy clarke

roy clarke

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks for all the info so far.

Mad Professor http://www.logosolusa.com/ubbthread...in=3701&Words=066&topic=&Search=true#Post3701 is where I came across the problem.

Jacob, that's the same part number Stihl gave me, but they will not make any comment about a Picco on a 044, they just won't have it. 066, fine, 044, NO!!!. I don't believe them, but halfwits cut their legs off and try to sue someone, so the manufacturers just won't say anything.

The nasty thing about the spur sprocket here is the 066 part (1122-640-2006) costs £22 (or more than $40!!!!!!!!!):jawdrop:

roy clarke

roy clarke

ArboristSite Lurker
OK, someone tell me I'm wrong. :cry:

I found this info on http://lytek.dk/shop/motorsave-20c1.html. Take a look at the pictures for sprockets 1125-640-2000 and 1122-640-2006. I know they are for different saws, and for different chains, but the tips on the teeth for all the Picco drive sprockets are significantly more rounded than for the standard 3/8 chain. This may explain why the wrong rim sprocket can wreck the Picco chain, and it will probably happen with the spur sprockets too. :mad:

Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
OK, someone tell me I'm wrong. :cry:

I found this info on http://lytek.dk/shop/motorsave-20c1.html. Take a look at the pictures for sprockets 1125-640-2000 and 1122-640-2006. I know they are for different saws, and for different chains, but the tips on the teeth for all the Picco drive sprockets are significantly more rounded than for the standard 3/8 chain. This may explain why the wrong rim sprocket can wreck the Picco chain, and it will probably happen with the spur sprockets too. :mad:

I have thought trying a pin type sprocket.