044 Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got my cases back from @glock37 and could not be more pleased. Started the build around 3:00 pm by first prepping the case halves.Then I heated each half up with heat gun and dropped the bearings in. Put the cases together and installed the p/c and the seals and pressure tested. Had a leak around the pto bushing so I took off and coated with grease and that solved that leak. Pressured it up and it leaked under the cylinder at where the cases joined together. I removed cylinder and cleaned the Dirko off and went back with high temp Perma-seal gasket maker and reset the cylinder. Let set about 40 minutes and pressured up and it held for 5 minutes. Did the same on vacum and it passed ! Installed the heat shield and put the oil pump and clutch assembly on and then installed the muffler. Been standing from 3:00 untill 9:15 and back was hurting so I called it quits for the night. More to follow with some pics.

Nice work. The cases look great and it should breathe good with that muffler.

Did you use OEM internals?
Yes sir. New piston,rings,wrist pin,bearing. Oem bearings and seals. The crank and cylinder were in very good shape,no scratches or transfer. My dealership gave it to me and I know the original owner. Whoever worked on the saw previously put shielded bearings and they basically started siezing up. It had a 440 tank and I have been trying to find an oem original tank. The tank is very faded and dirty and I have cleaned it up as good as I can. I bought an aftermarket tank and debating on putting it on. Building it more for nostalgic reasons.

Yes sir. New piston,rings,wrist pin,bearing. Oem bearings and seals. The crank and cylinder were in very good shape,no scratches or transfer. My dealership gave it to me and I know the original owner. Whoever worked on the saw previously put shielded bearings and they basically started siezing up. It had a 440 tank and I have been trying to find an oem original tank. The tank is very faded and dirty and I have cleaned it up as good as I can. I bought an aftermarket tank and debating on putting it on. Building it more for nostalgic reasons.
Are the 046/tanks the same as the 044?

Are the 046/tanks the same as the 044?
They will work but the airfilter cover needs a bit of modification so for a period correct look not correct. I have several 044`s running 046 tank/rear handle setups, they hold more fuel in their wider/larger fuel tanks.

Back