044 Chainbrake issue...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Pig

A.K.A. Stihl-O-Matic
Reaction score
So just finishing an older 044 basket case, saw is all together and sounds great, but I am having an issue with the chain brake. It seems there is not enough travel pulling the chain brake back. It hits the handle before the linkage releases the chain brake. Took it apart a couple times to see if I am missing something but cant find anything. Either the slot that the linkage sits in on the handle is just warn or there is something I am not seeing... any help is appreciated.

Okay I know its dirty but it will get blown out at some pointIMG_1374.JPG

I have had this happen. Once it was what pioneer guy said. The handles were at different locations. Remove the handle bar and see if it actuated then.
Still not right? Remove the brake band and look closely to see the number. If it is not 1128 you have found the problem. Some of the other Sthil saws were very close but then don't work correctly. In a basket case you can sometimes get parts mixed. Mike

I have even found differences in the pivot screw and bushings on the recoil cover side, some are larger diameter than others and the correct bushing must be used or the brake will not reset properly.

The brake band was still in the saw, I guess it could be the wrong one... It is a half wrap bar. I placed piece of old ring in the slot of where the linkage sits in handle and it engages fine so I am guessing its either wrong brake handle or just warn out... Thoughts?

Here is a pic of brake handle pulled all the way back to bar.

Attachments

• IMG_1378.JPG
    IMG_1378.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
To get it to engage I placed a piece of broken piston ring where the yellow arrow is pointing.

Attachments

• IMG_1378ss.jpg
    IMG_1378ss.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
The brake handle may just be worn out where it rubs on the metal part of the trip mechanism. Very hard to tell just from your picts. I put 2 -3 of these saws together each winter, just completed #3 today, all Arctics this time around. I will pull out a brake handle and see if I can find a difference between a new one and yours.

Maybe I should explain better... chain brake on (chain brake handle forward) if I pull back to try to take brake off it will not disengage, brake handle hits handle bar before it reaches the point to disengage. When I place something under where the yellow arrow is it gives it enough to disengage the brake.

The brake handle may just be worn out where it rubs on the metal part of the trip mechanism. Very hard to tell just from your picts. I put 2 -3 of these saws together each winter, just completed #3 today, all Arctics this time around. I will pull out a brake handle and see if I can find a difference between a new one and yours.
if you could measure the slot in the handle the linkage goes in maybe that is warn, but it does not look to be. Anyone know the part number for the brake handle?

Back