044 Help Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohioburner

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I did a compression check on my 044 and it was 120. So i took off muffler and piston was scored. I took the top off and the cyclinder looked good but piston is junk. I order a piston from Baileys but while I'm waiting I took off the clutch and oil pump to clean it up. when I was blowing air into the crank area to clean it out if anything was in there I felt alittle bit of air coming from the crank on clutch side. I was going to pull a vaccum test once I got it all back together. Do I have to have the clutch on to help seal the crank or do I got a bad seal that needs replaced? Also the IPL I got shows 2 part numbers for the seal. Any ideas why 2 part numbers? Thanks in advance for the help.

I did a compression check on my 044 and it was 120. So i took off muffler and piston was scored. I took the top off and the cyclinder looked good but piston is junk. I order a piston from Baileys but while I'm waiting I took off the clutch and oil pump to clean it up. when I was blowing air into the crank area to clean it out if anything was in there I felt alittle bit of air coming from the crank on clutch side. I was going to pull a vaccum test once I got it all back together. Do I have to have the clutch on to help seal the crank or do I got a bad seal that needs replaced? Also the IPL I got shows 2 part numbers for the seal. Any ideas why 2 part numbers? Thanks in advance for the help.

You dont need the clutch on. as far as the two sizes measure the inner and outer diam.

1 Oil seal 18x29.6x5/3 (1,3-8) 1 Oil seal 18x29.6x5/3 (2) Cat is this what you saw ?I dont know what the difference is call Still and ask.

Last edited:
This is what I got for part # 9640 003 1972 Oil seal 18x29.6x5/3 and the other is: 9640 951 1972 Oil seal 18x29.6x5/3 Cat. Is there a simple way to get the seal out without Stihls special tool also what about installation of the seal? I was just looking at IPL and do I have to split case to remove and install seal?

Last edited:
The 044 `s seals mount into the case on the flywheel side and into the bearing extension on the clutch side. You need a tapered bushing to slide over the crank stub on the clutch side to install the seal so that it can get on over a sharp shoulder on the crank without spilling the garter like spring behind the seal lip. It is better left to someone with the right tools and knowledge of how to install them.

Did you do a actually vac\pres test? Your air compressor was surely putting more pressure inside the case than the saw ever will, the seals only need to hold something like 8-10psi. But then you do have to wonder if a leaking seal is what killed the first piston.

No I didn't do the vac/pres. test. I was going to do that once I got it back together. I had the cyclinder off and I was just blowing air in the crank so I don't think there was any pressure to speak of. I was thinking the saw was running lean and that is what killed the piston.

You dont need the clutch on. as far as the two sizes measure the inner and outer diam.

You actually do need the clutch on or at least a clutch hub when vac and pressure testing the 044....There is a sleeve that the seal runs on, that is held in place by the clutch hub...Without any pressure against it, that sleeve will pop right out and of course you have a big leak.

Put the jug on with no piston and do a vac test. You can do it
:bang: Never would of thought of that Thanks.

And Sefh3 I put your link in favorites that is a good write up.

And a big THANK YOU to everyone that helped.

Back