044 oiler bar oil consumption and operation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl the One

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 044's bar and chain were getting very hot today. I noticed hardly any oil on the chain. I tore everything apart, cleaned the bar with spackle knife and toothbrush, cleaned out the holes in the bar, ran powerhead with no bar to see if oil was coming out, and it was. Turned the oiler to max lubrication. Refilled oil tank and tried again. I held the throttle at half and gave it a few full throttle pulls next to the inside of a log and didnt see any spray? I went through an entire tank of gas and the oil was used up also. What is the deal here? Someone help? Thanx

OK then where did the oil go? Is there a hole in the oil tank? Did the oil come out but not into the oil hole but alongside the bar? Take off the bar plate and match it alongside the bar to be sure everything is open and in alignment. Something is wrong. Figure it out. You have a better chance of seeing what is wrong than we do. You have the saw and all we have is your description. If it used all the oil in one tank of mix there should be a lot of oil someplace. Use your head not the key board. Put some purple dye into the oil and trace it. Don't give up until you find it.

Probably a split oil supply tube or the pump is U/S
give the saw a good clean around the pump clutch area refill and look for the leak

OK then where did the oil go? Is there a hole in the oil tank? Did the oil come out but not into the oil hole but alongside the bar? Take off the bar plate and match it alongside the bar to be sure everything is open and in alignment. Something is wrong. Figure it out. You have a better chance of seeing what is wrong than we do. You have the saw and all we have is your description. If it used all the oil in one tank of mix there should be a lot of oil someplace. Use your head not the key board. Put some purple dye into the oil and trace it. Don't give up until you find it.
Thanx good idea with the dye. I will try that. Ye i fiddled with it for about an hour, wasnt making any sense to me? Oil has to be goin somewhere

My 044's bar and chain were getting very hot today. I noticed hardly any oil on the chain. I tore everything apart, cleaned the bar with spackle knife and toothbrush, cleaned out the holes in the bar, ran powerhead with no bar to see if oil was coming out, and it was. Turned the oiler to max lubrication. Refilled oil tank and tried again. I held the throttle at half and gave it a few full throttle pulls next to the inside of a log and didnt see any spray? I went through an entire tank of gas and the oil was used up also. What is the deal here? Someone help? Thanx

I spoke to someone at the stihl dealer, and he said that the newer chisel chains will not flick the oil off onto a log. They are redesigned to keep the oil on the bar. Hope this helps others. Thanx

I'm in Sciota and if you want me to take a look at it for you shoot me a PM.

Latest posts

Back