045S not oiling bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ifishsum

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Trying to fix my brother's older 045AV Super...I rebuilt the top end a few years ago and it's become one of his favorite saws but it suddenly quit oiling on him. I found the plastic worm drive gear on the pump was basically shredded, so I found a replacement and also disassembled the pump to remove the little plastic slivers it left between the teeth of the pump. Looks like this is an older style pump, the manual I'm looking at shows a slightly different model with a worm gear and bushing retained by a C-clip but this one is all plastic and just slides on and off the shaft. Anyway, I found a matching gear and put it all back together but still no oil to the bar. The pickup screen/hose is good, and I have verified that none of the input or output holes are clogged. Drive pin on the clutch is turning the gears. Oil is getting to the pump, so I took apart the pump again and doesn't really seem like much could go wrong there. It's too late to test it again tonight, and maybe I just didn't rev it high enough but a couple of questions before I try it again - there is a ledge on the adjustment screw where you can push it in and lock it in place if turned all the way counter-clockwise. Would that lock it on full oiling or none? I can't really read the marks on the bottom of the saw anymore, do some of the older models clockwise for more oil? The adjustment screw is a cam that puts more pressure on the plunger as you turn it CCW. Pushing in and locking the adjustment screw keeps the highest part of the cam against the plunger. I'm hoping I just had it set wrong, rather than go looking for another oil pump. Thanks in advance

Look at post #9 here for the reference mark position, the S032 & many others use the same pump.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-oiler-adjustment.248140/#post-4592341

I would take the pump completely off (you'll first need a new gasket, as it tears) and pressure check the bar oiler circuit to the bar mounting tab. I think it's the top slot/hole at the pump mount & is a "cast in" circuit on the PTO side of the saw case. I've only seen two plugged up feed circuits before. Carb cleaner, an air compressor, and small wires are your best tools to bust the clot if it's plugged.

If the holes flows free, it may be just the adjustment setting that's wrong.

Latest posts

Back