046 DP muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelhead kid

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is there a gasket on the 046 DP Muffler cover? my manual shows there isn't.

I wanted to take it off this weekend and check the spark arresting screens and see about maybe modding. But the cover was PITA! I didnt want to pry or bang on it and damage it. I did need Lubricant to get the screws out, but didnt try on the cover.

Any recomendations.

Is there a gasket on the 046 DP Muffler cover? my manual shows there isn't.

I wanted to take it off this weekend and check the spark arresting screens and see about maybe modding. But the cover was PITA! I didnt want to pry or bang on it and damage it. I did need Lubricant to get the screws out, but didnt try on the cover.

Any recomendations.

Muscle up and quit being a pansy!

The cover should pop off with a little love tap, or light persuasion from a small screwdriver (the kind you use to adjust your carb).

Myself i use a 6lb splitting maul give it a wack off they come.:dizzy: :dizzy:
Don't be scared you won't hurt it

There is a gasket under the cover, but they're about 14 bucks. So, right/wrong/or otherwise, I don't put them back in. I figure the worst thing that could happen is it may leak. If I was worried about a leak in the muffler, I wouldn't have just put a big hole in it...... :cheers:

There is a gasket under the cover, but they're about 14 bucks. So, right/wrong/or otherwise, I don't put them back in. I figure the worst thing that could happen is it may leak. If I was worried about a leak in the muffler, I wouldn't have just put a big hole in it...... :cheers:

I think he means is there a gasket between the dualport cover and the back portion of the muffler. If so there is no gasket there. The only gasket is behind the entire muffler which does not come off to check your screens. As far as getting an old muffler apart I wish I could help, I have a 2071 that I can not get apart and any suggestions would help. It seems to be rusted into 1 piece. My next try is gona be soak it with PB and try hitting it from side to side. That worked on an old rusted 044. Problem with the 2071 muffler is there is hardly any side to side play like on the stihls.

I asked the same question when I DP-ed my 460. Answer was that the non DP has a gasket, the DP does not need it due to it's lower internal presure (it breathes well enough there's little leakage between the muffler halves).

rap the side of the cover with the handle of a screwdriver...it should pretty well fall out. they came out of the factory with a gasket...take it out..ball it up..and throw it as far as possible.

rap the side of the cover with the handle of a screwdriver...it should pretty well fall out. they came out of the factory with a gasket...take it out..ball it up..and throw it as far as possible.

Well my bad , I stand corrected, I guess I should have said mine does not have a gasket between the halfs.

must be rusted together. I took out the front screen out and I tried to get a screwdriver in were the slot is and pry. didnt work. Tried to get flat screw driver in the in between the 2 peices and tap with a hammer, just bent it up.
I know about the screws , Im not as dumb as i sound. jeez. i am not really into banging up my saw, doesnt that defeat the purpose of maintinence?

my thoughts... oh well... thanks for the input.

1128 149 0500 that is the part # for the gasket. it is only shown on the non dual port in the ipl..i don't run them on any of my saws

Just wack the damn muffler front sideways with a soft hammer, or piece of wood.

Think what a saw shop would do... BANG!.. and you'd never know...:greenchainsaw:

Won't leave dents... like beating up someone with a bag of oranges..., or is it soap?;)

I have one at work that has a rawhide end; at home I have a nice Poly tipped hammer with different density heads.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back