046 Dual Port on an 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, sure have! Makes for a nice improvement in breathing, especially on new-style 044/440 mufflers with the tiny regular outlet (open it up, too).

International_044_2.jpg

The Stihl dp cover will fit both the 046 and 044. My 440 runs really good with that cover, it should be standard equipment:hmm3grin2orange:

Nice pic CU!!!

Last edited:
I always wished Stihl would make a 046 style cover for the 066.

The 066 DP looks hideous.

Fred

I just took a dual port off one of my 460 and put on my 440.But when i changed it i noticed that the 440 had no baffel in the muffler is this normal.

Gravely huh? I have alot of gravely stuff if you need anything.

Its pretty easy to make a dual port out of the stock cover. Here is an example. Of course you would have to put in alot more time to make it look this nice.

But a 3/4" steel pipe welded into the face of the cover with some stainless steel screen would do the trick.

If you did want one that looks this nice, send me a PM.

Scott.

I spent some years as a tech in a Gravely/Ariens/Stihl/Echo/Toro shop, I have more of that stuff sittin' around here than I'll ever admit to.

The 044 belongs to a friend/co-worker, I've never put eyes or hands on it. I assume it's an older model `cause it has no decomp. Thanks to all for the replies.

-Rick

Gravely huh? I have alot of gravely stuff if you need anything.

Its pretty easy to make a dual port out of the stock cover. Here is an example. Of course you would have to put in alot more time to make it look this nice.
a963_12.JPG

But a 3/4" steel pipe welded into the face of the cover with some stainless steel screen would do the trick.

If you did want one that looks this nice, send me a PM.

Scott.

Nothing like pounding your own chest, huh? If you are gonna brag about it, at least use polished instead of brushed.......

Since I haven't been around too much lately, maybe I'll take this the chance to ask what your muffler has over the the other 867 people that have had similar designs? looks to me like you took someone elses "designs" off of ebay......Or are you Gulf? It is one thing to promote what you sell, but keep it out of other peoples threads. Everyone knows that you do over priced mufflers, so why not send the guy a pm, instead of whoring your pictures around the site trashing a bunch of threads.

BTW, you ever done any felling with that muffler? I bet you'd change your outlet if you dropped more than a 8" cottonwood.

I just took a dual port off one of my 460 and put on my 440.But when i changed it i noticed that the 440 had no baffel in the muffler is this normal.

The older mufflers didn't have the baffle/cage in them. Most guys drill the newer ones out, or totally remove them

That little pipe thing and megaphones probabely look cool to some people.I doubt seriously that they do a danged thing for performance.Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Lawdy I've seen them with so many little pipes sticking out they looked like a porcupine.It makes them louder than 'ell but they don't run any better.

Fact is,there was a fellow that was so proud of his 088 that had a hogged out muffler about 1.5 times the exhaust port.I cautioned him about carb adjustments or he would smoke the big Stihl.Sure enough about 3 months later his pride and joy was on E-Bay with a scorched cylinder.

Don't take my word for it ,I don't know a thing but try this.Pop the muffler clear off then see how well the saw runs.

So much for that,back to the regular program.:clap:

Last edited:
Al,

Why don't you tell me what saw you would like to try it on and I will make one for you to try. Then you would know for absolutely sure.
I would even drive it out to you and help you put it on. That way you could tell people with absolute certainty about my product, rather than associating it with someone who trashed their saw.

Not trying to be a smart a$$.
what was your formula for recommending a 3/4" pipe coming out of your mod ?

440/460

Had a extra 440/460 cover laying around from where I had bought
a Stihl DP cover, Thought I would do a hillbilly DP muffler cover
like the 361 I done.........if you don't need a screen, it takes
very little time to do.

attachment.php

Right side, left side is the same only lower

attachment.php

Not trying to be a smart a$$.
what was your formula for recommending a 3/4" pipe coming out of your mod ?
Darned that guy's ornery hide.He flew the coup about the time we were going to politely debate the fact that he just might not be the only person on the face of the earth that can modify a muffler on a saw.

Come back Scott,I'll be nice.:bowdown:

Good, you have already saved an hours work in making your saw have a little more umph.

I remove the baffles in every saw I mod.

I have been laughing out loud at Wojo's mufflers for months now. I wonder why - buy the Stihl brand they are the best and the price is fair - thats why there are no other aftermarket faceplates.

Last edited:
Get the dual port cover. Andy posted the part number a while back. I ordered one and the 440 runs noticeably better. A plus is the screen for cutting on restricted lands.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have to ask a question.... I am assembling an 044 from a box of 044 rubbish and here is the muffler I have to work with. It has no baffles in it, but check out the outlet....are they kidding? Its itty-bitty! I also took a shot of the spark arrestor...I'm not averse to them, but it is an AWFULLY fine screen. Any comments on installing a more coarse screen?

I guess I'm going to hog the outlet out a bit and yank the screen or find a more coarse replacement.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back