046 Magnum- beginning of the end?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelhead kid

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Need some advice here guys. Is a big bore kit alwas a good thing?

Anyone ever try a NOS brand big bore kit on ebay?

I have an 046 magnum that will not idle. The Stihl dealer told me today that the piston and cylinder are scored because of what he saw when he pulled the muffler and looked at the exhaust. He did not try to fire it. He said I can continue to run it but at the risk of destroying the bottum end . I knew it was slightly scored when I got it 6-7 years ago, guess it got worse.

It was $400+ to repair with OEM. But after market big bores on Ebay are around $100. If I do it myself thats not bad. Anything in particular I should know if I attempt this fix?

no..... and you need to pressure test you saw to find out why it scored the cylinder. either it has an air leak or was straight-gassed at some point and has gotten worse over time.
&+1 on baileys vs ebay for you BB kit.

Yeah, I thougt he came to the conclusion a little quick. he said the scoring was from overworking the saw, or pushing on a dull chain. I don't do this. I know I havent straight gassed it , but like I said they noticed slight scoring during a tune up when i bougt it used 6-7 years ago.guess it got worse over time. I'll ask them about the pressure test when I pick it up today.

No scoring on the piston is acceptable. They are pretty affordable. The cylinder may still be usable depending on where the scoring is. Best bet is to post pics of the piston from the exhaust port. Then clean the saw well and get the cylinder off to see what you are working with and if it can be cleaned up. Cleaning the saw is a VERY important part of the disassembly process.

The dealer made his assessment from pulling the muffler and looking in the exhaust port. I hope he is wrong about the cylinder.

When i pick it up today , I'll post here again.

nmurph is correct that some scoing MAY be acceptable on a piston. However they are pretty cheap and will give you the knowledge that you are good to go. If you pull the spark plug you can get an ok look the the cylinder wall around the exhaust. That will give you a better idea. The Baileys NWP BB kit is very nice. I have one on my 460 and it has a zillion tanks through it now with now issues.

Yeah I meant crank seal. Is it worth paying sixteyfour dollars to fix, the part is 7 bucks? I wouldn't mind doing it myself and do a BB kit. But none of this I have ever done before. Any way to get installation instructions?

Back