046 oil pump on a MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pump piston and pump body are different part numbers. Doesn't mean one combination or other it won't fit though... and if it does, would likely raise the output to that of an 046.

Last edited:
If it did work, that would be good news to a lot of 361 owners that lament the 361's weak oiler.

Ian

Well, it was as simple as changing out one pump for another. Now for the great news. The new oil output is great. Just reving the saw out of the cut for 10-15 sec makes oil drip down the bar. I didn't get a chance to run a full tank of fuel through the saw but I did make 10 or 12 cuts through 14" red oak. When I was done the chain was warm, not scalding hot and burned looking. I wish I had changed out the pumps a long time ago.

Good news. Now.. If we can just change out the piston/control bolt to the 046 HO type, we'll have a oil-well gusher on our hands ;)

I'll look into that... Sure looks like it wil fit to me, but I need to check one...

Data:

361 pump - 5.5 to 15(adjustment) cc/min at 10,500 rpm
Standard 046/441/460 pump - 6 to 17cc/min at 10,500 rpm (no real diff to the 361)

High output (Magnum Wrap) 441/460 pump - 6 to 24cc/min at 10,500 rpm

Last edited:
What can be done for a ms 260? Can the 260 Pro pump be installed so that it would be adjustable? The bottom of the case has the arrow for the oiler adjustment.

What the heck is a red light saw? Idont care if its a stupid question, I wanna know.

A flawed tuning aid (built into the ignition module) that appeared on early 066 saws. A "light" came on whe you reached the high rpm while adjusting the WOT. Unfortunately, over time the accuracy suffered so you were chasing a false value.

A flawed tuning aid (built into the ignition module) that appeared on early 066 saws. A "light" came on whe you reached the high rpm while adjusting the WOT. Unfortunately, over time the accuracy suffered so you were chasing a false value.

Wow. Id have never guessed that. Too bad it didnt work, and too bad I dont have a 066! :cheers:

MS460 oiler info

attachment.php

Originally I was going to swap a 036 pump to the 361 but that's almost impossible. Fortunately, my 046 is all in pieces so it sacrificed its oiler for the cause. I'm going to try and cut some fire wood later this week so i'll let you guys know how things go with the new oiler.

I've had really good luck with this saw. Stihldoc tuned it for me about a year and a half ago when I bought it and it's run great so far. He also said the same thing you said Lakeside53.

Originally I was going to swap a 036 pump to the 361 but that's almost impossible. Fortunately, my 046 is all in pieces so it sacrificed its oiler for the cause. I'm going to try and cut some fire wood later this week so i'll let you guys know how things go with the new oiler.

Do you know Tom over in Leesburg?

btw, great find on the oiler!!!!

No, I don't know Tom. I stayed in the Fairfax, Reston, Herndon and Chantilly areas then I sold my business last January and moved to NC.

Last edited:
Back