046 Piston/Cylinder damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenSVT

Where did all these saws come from?!?
Reaction score
So I figured out why the 046 Magnum was sold in the package as a parts saw. I'd like opinions on if the cylinder can be salvaged.

The exhaust side was toasted.

IMG_20170603_170958993.jpg IMG_20170603_171031178_HDR.jpg

As little as I have invested, she's surely worth saving. May have to do a big bore kit, as inexpensive as the Chinese ones are.

Now to figure out why she got hot?

I'd replace all rubber fuel components--oem only on this model for fuel line and filter. Chinese airfilters are "ok" for HD2 knockoff.
Honestly I'd try hard to save that cylinder and put in an OEM or Meteor. For $40ish those meteors are nice. If the cylinder is a no-go, put up a wanted ad. There's a few around.

Unfortunately, I lack air tools to clean up the cylinder. I can give it hell with the ol' electric drill.

The drill will work fine.

Then I'll do my worst.

Nice avatar--- Garfield Grandma, right? Christmas special quote: "I remember back when all we had were wood-burning cats".

Absolutely. I'm glad someone recognized it. That was a great special. As a kid, my parents recorded all the 80's Christmas specials on VHS. Garfield was one. The Muppets/Sesame Street was another. My favorite? Claymation Christmas! Remember that one?

Then I'll do my worst.

Absolutely. I'm glad someone recognized it. That was a great special. As a kid, my parents recorded all the 80's Christmas specials on VHS. Garfield was one. The Muppets/Sesame Street was another. My favorite? Claymation Christmas! Remember that one?
Haha, sure do remember those. Love the classics.

I'll clean it up for you for nothing.

Half or more of the saws I see that are scored have nothing wrong with them,poor tune,dull chain and a schmuck ahold of the handles will take care of one just like a airleak will.

If the impulse line is still hooked up then I'll bet it got a bearing shot.

Most of the really bad stuff appears to be under the Exhaust floor.

If you're careful, you can start with some acid. Just have a bucket of warm water mixed with baking soda near you to stop the reaction if needed. You have to be careful that there isn't any break in the integrity of the plating. You don't want the acid to find its way under the plating and undermine it.

3M makes a new type of sandpaper that appears white/tranluscent. It's wetordry and has a clear plastic backer. I used it dipped in acid the other day and it worked great for transfer removal. Just make sure you wear eye protection and you have good ventilation. The acid fumes aren't too good for u.

I'll clean it up for you for nothing.

Half or more of the saws I see that are scored have nothing wrong with them,poor tune,dull chain and a schmuck ahold of the handles will take care of one just like a airleak will.

If the impulse line is still hooked up then I'll bet it got a bearing shot.

That's a generous offer. I appreciate it more than you know. If I decide that I'm not ready to delve into cylinder cleanup yet, I'll certainly be in touch.

As I'm new to this hobby, I'm curious about your last statement. You specifically mention the impulse line, and how it's likely due to a bad bearing IF the line is still connected. What are the other possibilities which could have caused this type of damage?

Thank you guys so much for sharing information. I'm learning as quickly as I can.

That's a generous offer. I appreciate it more than you know. If I decide that I'm not ready to delve into cylinder cleanup yet, I'll certainly be in touch.

As I'm new to this hobby, I'm curious about your last statement. You specifically mention the impulse line, and how it's likely due to a bad bearing IF the line is still connected. What are the other possibilities which could have caused this type of damage?

Thank you guys so much for sharing information. I'm learning as quickly as I can.
If you hang the bar and yank it free it is very common on a 460 for it to pull the impulse line off and still run but extremely lean,I've seen it several times.

It's also very common for one to spin the pto side bearing.

That's where I would start anyway.

It was ran screaming lean for a while to smoke it that bad and both of these problems would allow that.

I see! Thanks for the knowledge.

This one is destined to be my first big rebuild. The deeper I dig, the deeper I want to dig.

I see! Thanks for the knowledge.

This one is destined to be my first big rebuild. The deeper I dig, the deeper I want to dig.
Ive cleaned up cylinders that were as bad
Have to take care around port edges.

Oh I meant the deeper I dig into the saw, not the deeper I dig into the cylinder wall lol.

I'm honestly too chicken to attempt to clean up the cylinder myself.

Those are the videos I've got saved and have watched a million times. I'm still too chicken to start sanding this cylinder lol.

Those are the videos I've got saved and have watched a million times. I'm still too chicken to start sanding this cylinder lol.
I've done many in the last year, not all that tough , actually. I made a mandrel out of an old bolt using a hacksaw, chucked it up in my cordless drill and went to work , easy peasy! The acid, q- tip can get the tough deposits, the hand sanding for a mirror finish. :cool:

Latest posts

Back