046 stripped spark plug hole and racing issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatchin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 046 i bought awhile ago and havent cut with it yet. After i bought it and was replacing the spark plug that came with it and other things i noticed that all around the plug hole in the cylinder was all gassey smelling black "sooty" crap and so was the inside the top cover. the old plug threads looked okay but the threads in the cylinder look 'flat' and when i try to tighten the plug it acts as though it is stripped....when i start the saw it races like a SOB and eventually dies when left to idle. I had the saw carb tuned, originally thinking it was just carb adjustement but still raced after i got it back...wont be going back to that guy after he still charged me for it.

fast forward to today....i started the saw and let it warm up. same story, still races at idle and eventually dies. gassey smelling soot is still around plug hole and is moist.

What kind of luck do i have trying to rethread the plug hole or do i buy a new cylinder??

There is a fix to your problem. It is called SAV-A-THREAD. It is similar to a heli-coil but uses a sleeve instead of a coil. The coil doesn't work for spark plugs because of the sealing issue. The sleeve works for washered plugs or for the washer-less plugs. Any good auto parts store should have it. Make sure you get the short sleeves.

I would pull the muffler and check the piston out first. Hopefully the piston is ok. If it is, the cost of a piston, plus cost of thread repair kit, plus aggravation and potential failure, has you more than half way to an aftermarket BB kit. Good luck and keep us posted.

not sure i follow you Harry, i havent been around here for a couple months.

i've been looking through the Time-Sert webpage and have a question or two. I know i dont need the extended reach one, so the standard M14x1.25 insert kit pn 4412,.270" thread depth pn44121 is what i need correct? in the video they show them drilling out the spark plug hole but dont say what size bit...anybody that has done this fill me in on the process here.

Thanks for the help so far!

Last edited:
Another vote for time serts. The kits ensure everything stays aligned and they really do hold up well.

called the HQ today and it costs $148 for the standard length kit and $2-10 for the inserts. Cheaper than a new cylinder.

Gonna go ahead and take the saw apart and check all my lines and gaskets and check out the carb and see if theres any visible damage there, prolly rebuild it to be safe.

Back