048 Super project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's one nice specimen Steve, let me know how you like 'er after you rip into some wood. I remember really liking this model, but only saw/ran one over 15 years ago.

I hope to get mine back together with the new parts soon, she'll be even prettier than yours..........:hmm3grin2orange:

:clap: :cheers:

I've already ran her. Ran it before I bought it. Runs awesome for an old school saw. I bought it because it was super neat and super clean. The pics really don't do it any justice.

Going to replace all the case screws with the newer torx head bolts before I run it much.

Let me know if you happen to find a new Super tag. I have the other muffler on my spare parts saw and would like to make this one a "super"

OK, after much delay got back to it last night. I was waiting on a few small parts and got busy so the saw sat unattended for awhile.

First picture is my "upgraded" recoil cover I received from Kevlar. Looks like BN, though it was used very lightly. I say upgrade mostly because it has the dual pawl recoil pulley which I happen to prefer. I had to track down the double pawl clip and some extra pawls but well worth the effort. I always wondered why Stihl didn't make this standard on all pro level saws. I did completely disassemble both covers, even the spring to clean and lightly oil. Re-installing the springs is good exercise for the fingers.

The second photo is a muffler comparison, again, but the reason I'm showing it this time to display the difference in width or thickness between the single and DP. I attempted to install the DP muffler and the screws bottomed out with about 5mm shank still exposed. :confused: Turns out after looking at the IPL there were two different screws listed for the top of the muffler, M5x72mm for regular muffler 7 M5x65mm for DP. So I pick up both mufflers and DUH! What an idiot, don't have the 65mm screws, dealer didn't either so I've ordered them and will assemble with the regular muffler to start. It never fails to amaze me how even when you think you've finally lined up all the needed parts few screws fall through the crack..........................:bang:

Very powerful saw, just did not seem to hold up in a pros hands.

Curious, what did you find were the weak points? I know the top handle setup sure isn't the easiest for assembly/disassembly, and doesn't appear to be Stihl's stoutest of setups either to put it lightly. Particularly that lower mount, too many parts.

I did find one part that I do not like very well and that's the top cover/shroud. While it looks good, the clearances are such that it is a real PITA to install/remove from saw with handles in place. IMO that piece should remove readily, just like an air box cover. Oh well, each model has it's quirks.

There is Kevlar's nice new tank and recoil cover mated up to the super. The assembly of the tank unit to crank case is a little time consuming to get everything lined up right. Forcepts a must for intalling that impulse line. Intake manifold is fun to get right as well, feel sorry for the big fingered fellas trying get that done. I suppose you could use forcepts here too, but I'm awefully leery of damaging that nice, new boot. Tried Lake's string technique but string kept slipping off so I just muckled it in there(no sausage fingers here :) ).

Last edited:
Well here's where I ended up last night. Everything ready to rock except B/C and fluids..... I think so anyways. Will take another look at 'er today as it was late last night when I put 'er away, though I usually do my best work at night.

I also upgraded the bumper spikes, it just seemed too lame to have the same size dawgs on an 048 as an 028. So I received a set of 046Mags from the dealer, I think they look better, more appropriate for the saw size.

I didn't do anything special with this, all original spec though replaced parts. I will run it today with the regular muffler until I get the shorter screws then put on the DP and retune.

Well, still short my two M5x65mm muffler screws and a chain catcher but went ahead with trying to get 'er going today. I put on the regular, single port muffler (takes M5x72mm screws which I have) on and filled 'er with fluids.

I had a bit of "fun" for a while trying to get it going. I must have primed it about ten times with mix in the carb. It would fire first pull every time, run 2-4 seconds and die. Didn't surprise me at first considering it was completely dry for some time, but figured it should be pulling fuel after third or fourth prime. Well, checked fuel and impulse line connections they were good. Next pulled the carb, everything looked good before but figured must have missed something. Sure enough, someone installed the metering diaphram upside-down. Don't think it was me as I only peeked under the cover before to see if the rubbers were good and clean in there. I completed a thorough inspection this time and re-assembled everything.

Back outside, primed it twice and it would run but rough. I could get it to rev nicely but not idle or run low. Also wouldn't start without partial throttle setting. A few tweaks on the Low screw got it going, tried out a tad first but about 1/4 in seemed to be the trick. 3/4 on Low and 1 turn on High had good response but then I couldn't get the chain to stop spinning. Even with Idle screw backed out so she idled like a Harley. :censored: Must be clutch springs, right?

Back inside............

Clutch springs...

..............once back inside I commence to tearing her apart again. It's amazing how well you get to know a particular model after tearing a couple apart and re-assembling a few times.:givebeer:

I get the clutch off, sure enough the springs feel pretty weak. I can readily move the shoes on the carrier with my fingers. Well I've got a parts saw nearby guess I see if I can get a comparison for my spring finger-test. I was plenty surprised when I get a look at the nice, obviously recently replaced clutch on the "parts" saw (see pic). Must be my lucky day.:clap: I installed the "new" clutch on and should be good to go there. I mentioned in an earlier post that there was some heat damage in the clutch area. I think someone ran this saw with the brake on or the brake was malfunctioning at some point judging by the wear on the band. Along with the other indicators in there that I cleaned out before, like burned plasitic which I assume was what was left of oil pump gears. I also checked out the cranks seal while I had the clutch off and it appears to be good and pliable.

I had one more thing needing attention, my fuel line was leaking like a seive around the grommet seal where it contacts the hole in the tank. I thought it seemed like a loose fit when I installed it, should have tried different one the first time. Luckily, again, I had another fuel line on the bench and it fits better.

Finished for the night

I got everything back together and should be good to go................but ran out of daylight. Hate this time of year, but longer days are coming.

Here are couple of shots of the saw waiting for action featuring 046M dual dawgs. I think they fit the saw nicely, be better when my chain catcher arrives. I've got one of my older 18" bars from the 036 on it for now, but have a nice 24" that will probably be the primary choice. The oiler on it's lowest setting wet the 18"er fine, so I'll be in good shape. Canadian lager is the beverage of the night.:cheers: :clap:

This thing is pretty loud with the standard muffler, can't wait to hear the DP on 'er.:chainsaw:

This has been a great thread, bravo to you adkranger. The 042 and 048 have to be one of the least known Stihl models out there, so it is nice to have a detailed thread about them. The saw looks mean the 046 dogs. I can't wait to hear the report once you sink it in some wood.

This has been a great thread, bravo to you adkranger. The 042 and 048 have to be one of the least known Stihl models out there, so it is nice to have a detailed thread about them. The saw looks mean the 046 dogs. I can't wait to hear the report once you sink it in some wood.

That's one of the reasons I wanted one, plus positive experiences with one back a few years ago. Today was supposed to be the day, maybe tomorrow I can get my "S" together. I did record a nice sound track that I was going to post but I can't seem to get it to my 'puter in recognizable file type.:censored:

Success.....

Got a chance to run the saw today. It starts nicely, idles well and runs well up high. It seems to have a small hesitation if I slap trigger from idle to WOT in the first few minutes of operation. It may just need some more run in time, it did get better as I worked it. I am leaving the needles at 3/4 Low and 1 High till I get the DP on it then I'll fine tune it. I cut some cookies in some junky softwood and soft maple, which it sliced through effortlessly as expected. This thing is fun with an 18" bar. Sorry couldn't get any action pics as I didn't have a photographer handy. I want some real wood to cut for the action shots anyways.:chainsaw:

When I get the DP on I promise to get some action on here, maybe a vid if I can figure it out.

Since it's still just barely in project phaze I pulled off the hand guard to fix a spot where the previous muffler scorched it a bit. It really wasn't deep enough to affect it structurally yet, but since it's on my mind might as well get it right. I used a heat resistant epoxy. Will let it set and shape it smooth with the Dremel to make it purddee. I had a little extra so I fixed my 031's air filter where part of the screen was separated from the filter body. A little sanding, clean up with brake clean and few beads of epoxy, I save myself a headache of locating an old, probably hard to find air filter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back