048av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There is an 048AV for sale in my area for $300 (Canadian). From what I have read it is 77cc and a good saw. It has a 20" bar and new chain on it, what is the biggest bar it would take? Just thinking about it for the big nasty pieces.

attachment.php

There is an 048AV for sale in my area for $300 (Canadian). From what I have read it is 77cc and a good saw. It has a 20" bar and new chain on it, what is the biggest bar it would take? Just thinking about it for the big nasty pieces.

I think that would be a cool saw to have for playing with once in a while. If you're looking for something to actually count on to do work, you could find a good 038 MAG for $300. If you want something newer a Husky 272/372XP or Stihl 044 or 046 might suit your needs. You'll have to wait a while to find one of the newer ones for your $300. Parts are getting scarce for the 042/048 saws.

I believe the 048 was commissioned by the US military originally. Very heavy, parts availability is not very good. DO a search on this forum and you will likely find some info. Good luck!
I think it would be neat to have a green saw! except finding it may be a problem. I found a army surplus 181 but was to late all sold out! here is a pic from the auction

Bump!

Looks better green than orange?
Okay help this guy with his 048 question I now it is a Stihl meaning it is a turd but come on Stihl heads.:spam:
I say it's good for at least a 28'' bar with full comp.
Before I get slammed here I hope some can read and see the fun in this!

Looks better green than orange?
Okay help this guy with his 048 question I now it is a Stihl meaning it is a turd but come on Stihl heads.:spam:
I say it's good for at least a 28'' bar with full comp.
Before I get slammed here I hope some can read and see the fun in this!
From what I have found out about them, they were made for around 4 years.
From 80 to 84, the last ones were tagged 048 super.
The early ones even had the STIHL cordwood logo on the starter cover.
I have 2 working AVs along with a nice Super

I will likely pass on it and wait for something newer but a saw that would pull a 28" bar would be handy to have once in a while. It looks like no chainbrake on this model?

I will likely pass on it and wait for something newer but a saw that would pull a 28" bar would be handy to have once in a while. It looks like no chainbrake on this model?
All of the saws I have looked at had chain brakes.
Stihl still have pistons & such for both models. The engine shroud is scarce, but the air cleaner cover is still available.

All of the saws I have looked at had chain brakes.
Stihl still have pistons & such for both models. The engine shroud is scarce, but the air cleaner cover is still available.

p/c arent available in canada, i had to check with rons saws in nd, and then could only get a set for a 042.

mine uses a 24" bar and chain...

Latest posts

Back