050 051 075 076 Info Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
_bole.jpg Hi guys I have to get my 051 mill up because this white oak bole I saved from firewood has been on my front lawn a year and the neighbors are loving me too much! I'm looking for some advice.
Do I replace the oiler and worm with Ebay parts? The manual says "if the lugs on the pump worm are worn, always fit a new part." But how worn is worn?
A_worm.jpg A-_oiler.jpg
My 051 was refitted with the newer lug-oiler at some point, but as Pogo says in his fine video, the crankshaft isn't just right for the new parts, specifically, with the rim sprocket, the threaded portion of the shaft does not go quite deep enough to properly torque the clutch. The P.O. addressed this with the addition of a simple 12mm washer to function as a spacer, but I don't think this is right because getting the clutch off required a breaker bar (with special clutch removal tool) and I ended up galling the thread, that's another story but I repaired the thread good enough, I think. So what I'm thinking is doubling up the inner washer 1111 162 8901 has anyone else done this?A_washer.jpg

I have to look at these pics in the am on my pc. The phone is too small. I think the end is normal. When you push the black level for more oil it pushes on this end and pushes more oil through. As far as damaged threads, I've never seen them worn but what do I know. Was it oiling well before? I'm guessing not. Used parts are fine as long as they are not worn. I'll look better and take pics tomorrow. I may have to do it Monday if we go riding tomorrow. I always blow out the oil passages good, line up the inner plate. Blow out the oiling holes in the bar, take a thin screwdriver and scrape the bar groove out good and blow it out with air. I don't grease the roller tip the oil lubricates it well. Use high quality oil, never used motor oil. I milled with a bunch of 051's and they cut and oiled great. Take your time and let the saw do the work. Tbc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-worm-g...431?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4192555a37

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-CHAIN...801?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541aee4171

the whole kit and kabootle, good deal!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-CHAIN...163?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cc99cb93

Hope this doesn't clog up the thread to much, lots of pics to follow. All of this is stuff I am sure I don't need for my build, there is lots more that will be headed to new homes, but I am not certain on it yet.
I think Ace needs the crankcase with oiler hole in the top and Rock needs a crankcase with crank, otherwise shoot me a Pm and I will get back with you. Most of it I just want shipping or if you happen to have a part I need that would rock. The NOS tanks I might want a few $ for. The two cylinders are the 050/51 I do have good used pistons and rings I believe as well. Mufflers are pretty crappy maybe trash? two tanks have repairs one very minor the other BLAHHRG.
IMG_6328_zpspx8n7n0s.jpg

IMG_6330_zpsv1tnlnmw.jpg

IMG_6332_zps630touia.jpg

IMG_6338_zpsxfhwlgkm.jpg

IMG_6329_zpsooq0hhma.jpg

IMG_6336_zps2azthkpx.jpg

IMG_6333_zpsommihti3.jpg

IMG_6334_zpsgrnjpebh.jpg

IMG_6335_zpsa4n1sait.jpg

cylinders feel smooth inside

Case 1 and case 4 are the ones I'd like. Also the newer gas tank with intake cover are worth 50$ to me. I'll send you whatever you want for the cases but both of them the bottoms are busted up bad but I can salvage some stuff. That first sproket cover is real nice too. I'll send you the best muffler I have, a couple 4mm balls and what else do you need? Obviously I'll pay for shipping too. Thanks Dave !

Well let's make sure you get that one then. I was under the impression that you weren't interested. Or maybe you just wanted it for a template? Either way let's make sure you get # 4! Your a friend a I certainly don't want to yank the rug out from under your feet. Especially since your taking me fishing when I come to Oregon!!

LOL. I've been AWOL for a couple days. I need a busted one to measure the location of the plunger hole & to determine the diameter & angle of the oil passages. I may need the little plug that the factory inserts into the passage after it's drilled, also. I'm not positive, but I believe the passage requires drilling from two different directions & angles to intersect each other, then the one end is blocked off (plugged). I don't want a serviceable part, as I may be tempted to use IT instead of modifying my 051 case. That would take all the fun out of it! The angle of those passages is critical, as they have to intersect.

Rocky, if you want that case without the crank (#4), I could send it to ya after I'm done with it, or send you what you want off of it (not sure what that could be). Seems like a lot of travelin', but it's an option.

I just want to make sure you get what you need. its just "stuff" like Dave says and you need it way more than I do. Funny thing is I need the right side more than the left sides because those are the ones that are ususally trashed by the chain. Anywho I sent a pm to Dave and we'll get this sorted out. If I have to fly to Oregon and give you my 076, so be it! I just sent you a pm.

Does anyone know if the EVER made an 075/076 without a manual oiler? Thanks RF

After long and hard research I came up with a NO

Anybody prove me wrong??

ok just picked up a basket case 050, why do I do this?? By the time im done ill have more into parts than I can sell it for :) I think im going to trick the intake/exhaust, put a real nice paint job on her and see what she'll do in the cut. Heck I milled with 051's for years and 076's were just a dream,... Trouble is there worth more in parts now than they are running (mad face)!!!!

To follow up, learned a few things about the 051 today. When they say in the manual to install the new worm gear using the special assembly sleeve (1111 893 4600) they mean it. I didn't have the sleeve so I improvised with an old AC cable junction of about the right I.D., a fiber washer, and an automotive crush gasket, and it didn't work. The oil seal kind of folded back on itself for part of the circumference. I used a bamboo skewer with the tip dulled to cajole it back in place, I suppose it should do the trick since it didn't rip, but the seal did have the look of stretched unchewed bubblegum while it was contorted. Oh well. Since then I found the sleeve on Bailey's and ordered another seal for the parts drawer. The good news is the P.O. had the wrong pump piston in there. I ordered a new worm lug/pump piston set and the new piston has less and somewhat larger gears. So this explains why it wasn't oiling up a storm I hope. Also, the P.O. had the wrong clutch on there. OWWM Rule No. 12: Never assume a machine as received is set up correctly.

To follow up, learned a few things about the 051 today. When they say in the manual to install the new worm gear using the special assembly sleeve (1111 893 4600) they mean it. I didn't have the sleeve so I improvised with an old AC cable junction of about the right I.D., a fiber washer, and an automotive crush gasket, and it didn't work. The oil seal kind of folded back on itself. for part of the circumference. I used a bamboo skewer with the tip dulled to cajole it back in place, I suppose it should do the trick since it didn't rip, but the seal did have the look of stretched unchewed bubblegum while it was contorted. Oh well. Since then I found the sleeve on Bailey's and ordered another seal for the parts drawer. The good news is the P.O. had the wrong pump piston in there. I ordered a new worm lug/pump piston set and the new piston has less and somewhat larger gears. So this explains why it wasn't oiling up a storm I hope. Also, the P.O. had the wrong clutch on there. OWWM Rule No experience. 12: Never assume a machine as received is set up correctly.

Go back a bunch o' pages and read all the stuff I posted during my rather enlightening oiler problem journey. Maybe even wanna watch the cheesy video I posted.

THEN proceed! (you'll thank me later)

Back