050 051 075 076 Info Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooooooh what a beauty! Never seen that gem before. I have never had trouble with the plastic stop. I make sure to thread it all the way in from the first day. Threads were tight at first but now I can spin it almost all the way by hand. Finish with a box wrench 11/16. I use the impulse for the pressure/vac test but rarely need to do them. Mostly to check the 045 bearings with integrated seals.

Pogo where did you find that gem?
I would like to know that as well. I feel another fitter/ boiler maker favour coming up

QUOTE="Rockfarmer, post: 5805530, member: 31226"]
Pogo where did you find that gem?[/QUOTE]

It just happened to be included in a mystery box o' parts and stuff from one of those weird deals we all run across now and then.

As for my reference to the plastic piston stops, I was talking about the cheesy nylon pieces o' crap that ya shove into the plug hole, not a threaded version. These suck for saws.

images.jpg [​

I love those mystery boxes of crap!! I do wish I lived in
Oregon or Washington sometimes. I know there's barns full of old Stihl treasures out there just setting there.

Just wanted to say thanks again for the help in getting my old 051 up and running again. She's now a valuable piece of my growing company, turning old wood in beautiful lumber!

A few photos of the beast in action. The first two are a Giant Sequoia log. Beautiful blue/purple/pink grains in it! 051 pulled 7 planks out of this log in just over an hour. Beauty!

The last one is milling some Big Leaf Maple that blew down on the Sunshine Coast. Three 10' logs, all 30" in diameter. Took 8 hours to get them milled into 4" thick slabs! Was initially worried if she could handle a full day of milling, but in the end, it was my body that was begging for a reprieve!

One thing I am looking to add is bucking spikes, for what I am using it for everyday tree work. Have done some cursory google searches, but not a whole lot out there, from what I've found. Anybody have any leads? Willing to pay market value + shipping to Vancouver BC + infinite virtual high fives if anyone has a spare kicking around!

Thanks again, guys! _DSC0555.JPG _DSC0560.JPG BigLeafMapleMilling.jpg

Well I got my side cover on Friday not the one I hoped for but at least I can get milling again so now I'm on the hunt for a side cover with chain break. Watch out eBay etc
image.jpg
Rockfarmer while I was at the Stihl dealership I asked about the 58mm piston they only wanted $300 Aus for it I said I'd get back to them NOT!!!

Nice looking cover. I guess I'm going to have to do some black touch up after I powdercoat. The next saw will be orange and white, a super. I got the aftermarket cover from Germany and I'll swap the brake parts out and let you know how it goes. The last super is gone along with an 051, shelves are bare. Lots of 045's/056's to do though but parts are a lot harder to get. I am going to finish this one and try to get some more Pistons. I might do a couple 051 conversions with aftermarket Pistons. Polish and do some chamfering to them and lend em out to get beat on and see how they hold up :) picked up an 090 that needs some love. image.jpegimage.jpeg

When I spoke to the Stihl dealership they were carping all over people buying stuff off the net and then it not fitting. So I'm really hoping that the German AM cover works well and I'll definitely pick one up. I have started looking at the possibility of picking up a 090 at some time for future milling. What are you up to when you come over in fall?

Hey we all love Stihl. If they would sell thier brand online they would make a lot more money and not CREATE the "black market" for parts that they have. In my area they also put thier dealerships in small stores where you can't get parts and they know nothing. IMHO very poor top level management!!!

So my 076AVESQ is getting a little closer to being done. Not sure if I have the right orange. It's close but bright and maybe a little too red. It vermillion for whatever that's worth. I did get the right gray color (thanks Glock) for the next build. Should have this one going in a week or so. Lots of irons in the fire. image.jpeg

Rockfarmer , do you use aftermarket av rubbers? If so how do you find them?

I found another chainbraked 056 magnum the other night, comes with a spare muffler which will go on another saw I have.

Usually or obviously the AV rubbers on any old saw are so oil soaked and expanded or swelled they are junk. I buy a lot of chopsaws, ts760's. I use those parts for the chainsaws. That's how I got my oem Pistons and cylinders. Half the time they are blown up and the other half they are good. Most of the time the AV rubbers are perfect just covered with silica slurry. Surekleen 600 cleans that right up. I've seen the complete oem set on the bay for 17$. Congrats on the 056!!. That's a saw I'll always love, one of my favorites. Just can't get the bearings and ignitions for them.

Cheers for that, I'm going to start looking for those saws. The plan is to use the $20 051 in a mill and use the chainbraked one for bucking occasionally.

The 056 bearing is a massive pita, I wouldn't mind trying that ignition fix that foggysail came up with. This 056 has fried ignititon but I have one with good spark and a toasted piston so hopefully I can swap it over.

Depending on vintage, the SEM and Bosch ignitions are interchangeable without needing to change the flywheel. And the SEM is still available as NOS from some distributors. Bryan Equipment had them last time I checked via my favorite dealer in these parts (North Central Ohio). 'Bout $180, tho!

Ya I've got 4 or 5 with spark but you don't really know till you put them into the wood and get them hot. I also bought 8' of spark plug wire to swap out because it does go bad and also the insulation falls off the ground wire and kills the spark. I want to cut the dam kill wire off completely but people like to have that switch working. I did buy ten of those electrical gadjets but I'm a little intimidated. But that's a whole different thread!

10-4 on that Pogo! This saw has sat for a while and will get some use soon, just got it installed and it sounds good, no spark screen though. Belongs to a friend and it will be ran hard for sure, it's hard to tune as it still has the governor in the carb, haven't put it in wood yet.

The cheesy ones seem to rattle apart in fairly short order due to low quality brazing from everything I've heard. Bought a pair of Chinese mufflers for a coupla Husky 395xp's that were rock solid. Guy I bought em through said he's had em come in that already sounded like maracas right out of the box due to the innards just coming apart in shipping. The aftermarket is a crap shoot any way ya cut it.

Latest posts

Back