050 051 075 076 Info Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like Towingace needs a copy of MC. Its my turn to share the wealth,.. Nobody has hit me up yet. When I work on a saw my laptop is on the bench with me and my parts :) pm me if your interested

It sounds like Towingace needs a copy of MC. Its my turn to share the wealth,.. Nobody has hit me up yet. When I work on a saw my laptop is on the bench with me and my parts :) pm me if your interested

That is a kind offer. Just be wary of mediaCAT when working on older saws though. It does not have any of the tech bulletins before 1994 and only has the latest versions of the ipls. For example, a lot of changes took place in the 1111 series and 1115 series saws that the latest versions of the ipls simply do not show.
:cheers:

Yes, it can get very confusing looking at 4 different versions of the same part number. Sometimes it seems like they changed the design every year!

Another thing to mention though is that when we get these saws they have been worked on for 20 or 30 years, and many parts have been switched over to keep them going. Just because you pull a part off a saw doesnt mean its the right one, or the one that originally came with the saw. I myself like to modify and update a saw if possible with newer better parts, why not if it makes the saw run better and the user happy.

The disc showed up today, many thanks Rockfarmer. I didn't get a chance to take a peek yet. The real puter is at the shop, all I have here at home is this little tablet. Thanks again and Happy Holidays

Glad I can help. Any probs or questions let me know or post them here. Pogo has really helped me with a lot of stuff as have many, many others. Merry Christmas!!!!

Everything I've learned about these saws is primarily based on the input of this thread, particularly the early stuff provided by Jon...as in the part where none of it makes any sense because so many things were changed over the years with sometimes sketchy and contradictory documentation as the only road map. Wheee!!!!

I was also very fortunate to have stumbled onto a ton of the original hard copy documentation via Definitive Dave who acquired it in a large buy of stuff from what I understand was an old Stihl dealer. All was pretty well organized and nicely kept in binders..., complete with many tech notes dated according to their issue and/or simply amended to the IPL's according to relevant volume beginning back in '70~'71 with the 050/051. Very handy to have, but still pretty confusing until one figures out what it is they actually have on their bench to begin with. The serial number narrows that down pretty fast if you have access to the revision history of the particular saw, but can again get confusing if it has been frankenfixed over the years as was mentioned by RF which is not unusual.

Anyway, I couldn't talk DDave out of the docs, but he did graciously let me hang on to them long enough to digitize everything before returning them. My initial plan was to reorganize everything by relevant category in a revision history format beginning with the oiler drive situation relative to the various sprockets relative to the different flywheels relative to the different cases....., well....., "just a bit overly ambitious" would be an understatement there!

I do have most of the stuff organized by the dates of the volume/tech note releases so I can dial in to a general era of documentation relative to a serial number. I've yet to get that broken down into an easy cross-ref/index type of format for easier reference. And right now, everything is in individual .jpg image file format still needing conversion to .pdf, but I'll get there sooner or later.

Point is, I have a bunch of the older documentation. If anyone thinks it may be helpful to their revival or repair cause, don't hesitate to ask. My actual experience with these saws on the other hand is pretty much limited to what I've already posted, though I always have my eye open for a reasonable 076 project to learn a little more about the beasts.

(Yeah, a real glutton for punishment!)

For some reason all the agonizing research Poge did in assembling the 1111 codex inspired me to buy a pallet of 075 parts. No idea what is wrong with my brain.
They arrived for Christmas and I took a peek today. Three pretty complete crankcases, at least two still contain complete oil pumps. Six assorted flywheels and a lot of other nonsense to root through.
I have a pair of NOS tanks/recoil housings, one nice clutch cover with brake hardware and two real nice covers without brakes, a handful of worms and drive plates, only one carb and the saddest single air filter on the planet.
Gonna need a lot of reading, a lot of scrounging, some powder coating, maybe some mag welding, some type of divine intervention to get the mufflers back in shape. I plan to have a beautiful shelf queen with brake and an ugly solid running mill saw out of this by spring :) I am ever the optimist.
IMG_5282_zps8428f409.jpg

IMG_5281_zpsa3244305.jpg

IMG_5275_zps60d53d2e.jpg

IMG_5274_zps2526594c.jpg

IMG_5293_zpsb8911979.jpg

IMG_5279_zpsb368cfa9.jpg

IMG_5276_zpsd8da800d.jpg

IMG_5255_zps4d4b2fb9.jpg

DDave

oh yeah, dang near every piece is different, even have a NOS piston
after I figure out which to crankcases to start with I have to see what is still available at the dealer in the way of bearings, seals, etc.
I imagine I am in for a real experience , but it should be a fun puzzle :)

and just maybe I will get the scan you did and all the other documentation into a nice searchable format

Of course I also just found another huge archive of chainsaw literature (probably 100 Stihl binders alone), literally a room full of manuals for every brand from an old school dealer who started in the early 50's
DDave

And Poge said that "my 051 looks like a project". Well...yeah...it IS. :)
I shot you a message over at the riff raff haven, I probably have the recoil you need. Aways back in time you hooked me up with an 056Mag2 muffler for a saw I sold with an Alaskan mill, I have a shipty memory but I try real hard to remember the good guys:) Let me know what you need. Also think at least two of these top ends are for 50/51 as they are a little smaller.

I shot you a message over at the riff raff haven, I probably have the recoil you need. Aways back in time you hooked me up with an 056Mag2 muffler for a saw I sold with an Alaskan mill, I have a shipty memory but I try real hard to remember the good guys:) Let me know what you need. Also think at least two of these top ends are for 50/51 as they are a little smaller.
Sorry Dave, I missed that!

Your memory is intact, and your honor, even more so. I never placed much value on that muffler but you insisted that I be compensated for it.

Here it is, several months later, you read a Want Post and are all eager to return the favor. THAT'S STAND UP!

I AM in need of an 051/076 recoil. Actually, I have a nice one, but seeing as I had to change things, I need a different one. Welcome to 1111 land. If you end up with an extra one, I would be mucho interested. By the way, I do expect a recoil to be worth more than that muffler. As you know, the recoil/tank assy. mounts onto the "fan housing". I believe the # on the fan housing is 1111 080 1825. That should also be the one that you will need.

That's a nice pile of puzzle pieces you have there, Dave. That should be some good entertainment gettin' it figured out.

oh yeah, dang near every piece is different, even have a NOS piston
after I figure out which to crankcases to start with I have to see what is still available at the dealer in the way of bearings, seals, etc.
I imagine I am in for a real experience , but it should be a fun puzzle :)

Apart from the very early 051 and 050 crankcases, they take 6203 (ignition side) and 6204 (clutch side) bearings, C3 clearance IIRC. They are available at any bearing warehouse or online. You don't have to pay extra and go through Stihl, just to end up with the same bearings!

As for gaskets/seals 1111 007 1051 covers both 075 and 076 saws (has the gasket for 075 gas tank). It contains all the gaskets (case, cylinder, exhaust, intake tract) and both main oil seals and is a lot less than purchasing the component parts individually. It does not contain, however, the oil seal which goes inside the worm gear.

Nice projects you have there!

I got it running. It has a Walbro, and the fuel lines were old and disconnected. A bit of Tygon, and away we go. It runs great. Does it look like a possible conversion candidate? Maybe if I got an old clunker and transferred parts? How much to find the parts used ball park? Is there an ipl available?

Thanks. This would be a low rpm 4 foot bar puller, so the rev limiter doesn't bug me that much. I recall the old 08s having a dual purpose model to switch back and forth. That's what my TS360 is based on, I think.
View attachment 357928View attachment 357929View attachment 357930View attachment 357931

Ive never seen a chopsaw with the chain adjuster cutout and the inner plate guide on the saw. This make me wonder if this saw was converted from a chainsaw to chopsaw before you got it?

OMG Dave!!!!!! Holy cow! Serious CAD envy here! Ive got an 076 on the bench and another one to build but wow those are some NICE parts there sir!

Sorry Dave, I missed that!

Your memory is intact, and your honor, even more so. I never placed much value on that muffler but you insisted that I be compensated for it.

Here it is, several months later, you read a Want Post and are all eager to return the favor. THAT'S STAND UP!

I AM in need of an 051/076 recoil. Actually, I have a nice one, but seeing as I had to change things, I need a different one. Welcome to 1111 land. If you end up with an extra one, I would be mucho interested. By the way, I do expect a recoil to be worth more than that muffler. As you know, the recoil/tank assy. mounts onto the "fan housing". I believe the # on the fan housing is 1111 080 1825. That should also be the one that you will need.

That's a nice pile of puzzle pieces you have there, Dave. That should be some good entertainment gettin' it figured out.

You are updating the recoil to the new pawl style right? As I posted earlier,
Apart from the very early 051 and 050 crankcases, they take 6203 (ignition side) and 6204 (clutch side) bearings, C3 clearance IIRC. They are available at any bearing warehouse or online. You don't have to pay extra and go through Stihl, just to end up with the same bearings!

As for gaskets/seals 1111 007 1051 covers both 075 and 076 saws (has the gasket for 075 gas tank). It contains all the gaskets (case, cylinder, exhaust, intake tract) and both main oil seals and is a lot less than purchasing the component parts individually. It does not contain, however, the oil seal which goes inside the worm gear.

Nice projects you have there!

Yes the bearings and complete gasket kit are available for 35$, I just bout one and they worked out great. As JD stated the oiler drive seal is not included but im sure you can buy it online or from your local bearing dealer. I just found 2 and grabbed them but Im sure theres more online.

3 on ebay now, a really nice one for 50$. When I wanted one I couldnt buy one for any price, now theres 3. Theres also many of the older style ones for half of that price.

Hey Brenainn, That's correct, I'm converting to the pawl style. I can only locate one fan housing / tank assy. on ebay. It's not the greatest, but it would work. DDave may have me fixed up also, I think he needs to make sure he has an extra.

I've been playing with the MediaCat that you sent me. That's a really nice program, I just have to get used to navigating it better. Thanks again for your gracious offering.

Ive never seen a chopsaw with the chain adjuster cutout and the inner plate guide on the saw. This make me wonder if this saw was converted from a chainsaw to chopsaw before you got it?
Th first picture is one trever posted earlier in the thread that got deleted. I think he bought NOS chopsaw case that was the same number as the chainsaw case. The second picture is one I had the was from a Ts760 it had all the cut outs,and a weird plug where the oiler should be. I eventually built a functioning Chainsaw from a TS760.
TS760 Clutch Side oiler.jpg 076 case.jpg

Towingace: If you can't find a tank pm me and i'll look and see I might have one.

Latest posts

Back