050/051 conversion to 075/076

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brigade

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have found references to the possibility of putting a STIHL 075/076 piston & cylinder on the 050/051. About the only solid info relates to the fact they should work but that the 075/076 cylinder uses long bolts as compared to shorter ones on the 050/051. There may also be an issue with the shape of the cylinder base in some cases. The carb issue seems to be open.

My question...Has anyone actually completed this conversion to get a running saw, or found a thread that actually indicates the steps and/or problems? I found many references but nothing complete.

Regards

I currently have a (sadly beyond repair for customer) 076 in the shop, if you need any measurements just drop me a PM, it's in a million bits at present so I can check most stuff for you (crank still in the crankcase though).

Trying to talk the customer into leaving it with us so I can get it for a project saw :) Could be fixed, but will take a LOT of time.

I did this conversion a few weeks ago for Tom Hall (Thall) a site member here. You will need a new muffler, a new heat shield and new manifold (though the original carb will work) and all corresponding gaskets as well as the aformentioned cylinder studs. The mounting holes in the crankcase will need to be enlarged 1 size from 5 to 6mm I believe.Once the mounting holes are resized and you have accumulated all the other swap parts and corresponding gaskets (we will assume that you already have the 075/076 jug and piston). Once the cylinder stud holes are properly sized it is very straightforward, just as if you are rebuilding a normal 075/076

Almost forgot, the 075/076 have a manual backup oiler and your donor 051 will not have this so with the longer bars that the saw will pull you will need to be sure that the auto oiler is turned all the way up. Your carb will need about 1/4 turn extra on each needle but works just fine.

TS760 convert to Saw?

All great info people...thank you! Since I'm waiting for the 050 to arrive I'll hold off on parts collection until I see what version it is & if the 076 conversion is feasible.

Now....as a related question. If a TS760 can be found in good shape & OK to be used as a donor the obvious question would be.......why steal parts to put on the 050 if the TS can be more easily converted to a chain saw. Can this be done?

Regards

The ts760 can not be converted to a 076. The crankcases are different.
The ts doesn't have a space for the oil pump being the biggest difference.

The 050 would be able to be converted to a 076 minus the manual oil pump if you bought a ts 760 in useable condition. Change out the p/c, intake, heat shield, muffler, mounting bolts, flywheel, ignition, and starter/ gas tank. The changing of the ignition would be to get a electronic ignition.

You would still use the 050 carb.

Last edited:
Conversion

I did this conversion a few weeks ago for Tom Hall (Thall) a site member here. You will need a new muffler, a new heat shield and new manifold (though the original carb will work) and all corresponding gaskets as well as the aformentioned cylinder studs. The mounting holes in the crankcase will need to be enlarged 1 size from 5 to 6mm I believe.Once the mounting holes are resized and you have accumulated all the other swap parts and corresponding gaskets (we will assume that you already have the 075/076 jug and piston). Once the cylinder stud holes are properly sized it is very straightforward, just as if you are rebuilding a normal 075/076

I know this is an ancient thread but I thought I'd give it a try. My question is about the oil pump. I am swapping my old 075 case out and using a 051 case. Stud holes have been re-sized, everything looks great but the oil pump. Obviously the new 051 case does not have a manual oiler, am I able to re-use the old 075 manual oiler pump or do I need to source out a new 051 oil pump??

May be a dumb question but what if you leave the oil pump off the inside of the case? Asides from not having low oil pick up, no filter and having to re-fill all the time .... would it work?

Any help would be appreciated.

THX!!

Last edited:
The oil pumps on the 051 and 076 are the same. The pump housing, shaft and control knob I just cross referenced and they are the same part number so I ASSUME that it is the exact same pump. Now because you switched to the 051 case you will no longer have the push button extra oiler. You MUST have the elbow connector (1111 640 9200), hose, pickup screen, screws and rubber o-ring inside the new 051 case or you will have no oil. I hope this helps.

http://store.chainsawr.com/products/stihl-051-chainsaw-elbow-connector-1111-640-9200-new-sd8

this is just the elbow, you will need the other parts as well. :)

Like you said, if you leave the part off you may get oil if tank is full but will only run about 1/4 tank of full before you run out, heat up the bar and chain in the cut, fight chain tension and constantly fight saw. I would just do it right. Its not going to cost much to do it right. I always fill my oil all the way and my fuel 3/4+ that way I never run out of oil before gas. Once everything heats up, the bar, chain, ect its nice not to keep readjusting chain tension and just cut wood!

Hi guys!

Has anyone had any luck in converting your 050 to 075 by chainging piston and cylinder kit? I am thinking of doing a conversion also since the piston and cylinder on my 050 are beyond repairs.

Thanks guys!

I can not access the links mentioned above. If someone can guide me on this, I will be really grateful.

You will need a new muffler, a new heat shield and new manifold (though the original carb will work) and all corresponding gaskets as well as the aformentioned cylinder studs. The mounting holes in the crankcase will need to be enlarged 1 size from 5 to 6mm I believe.Once the mounting holes are resized and you have accumulated all the other swap parts and corresponding gaskets (we will assume that you already have the 075/076 jug and piston). Once the cylinder stud holes are properly sized it is very straightforward, just as if you are rebuilding a normal 075/076

Hi Hoss! Job here from the Philippines!

I have a question regarding how to modify the mounting holes on the crankcase.

Is it necessary to split the crankcase and remove the crankshaft before carrying out drilling and tapping of thread? I had my saw crankcase split at the moment since I need to replace the crankshaft assembly.

I am planning to put a 075/076 on the saw since the p/c is not in good condition as of now.

Also, I noticed that the 050 has a ball bearing and a roller bearing for the crankshaft assembly. Is it possible to replace the roller bearing with a ball bearing since I can not find an OEM roller bearing for the crankshaft.

I apologize if I ask too many questions but I really want to make this conversion right so as not to waste money on parts.

I appreciate if some of the guys will also enlighten me on this procedure.

Thanks very much.

Latest posts

Back