.050 Chain on a .058 Bar??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wet1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently bought a closeout .058 bar (the price was right) and a couple of .058 chains to fit the new bar. While I was looking at the new bar, I noticed the tip said .050 and .058 only on it. While I don't even have a .050 chain that would fit this bar, I was wondering if a .050 chain can safely be used on a .058 bar???

I recently bought a closeout .058 bar (the price was right) and a couple of .058 chains to fit the new bar. While I was looking at the new bar, I noticed the tip said .050 and .058 only on it. While I don't even have a .050 chain that would fit this bar, I was wondering if a .050 chain can safely be used on a .058 bar???

Inadvisable unless its a life and death situation.

I tried it quite by accident, and found the .050 in the 0.58 bar simply would not cut straight, it just flops over in the goove too much and trys to cut around a corner.

Mark

That's kind of what I thought would happen. Thanks for the info guys...

On a replacable tip bar, the tip usually is the same for all gauges, as the chain rides on nthe sprocket, not on the rails.

He's right of course

The nose may be the same for .050 and .058 guage drive links but the groove in the bar will determine which chain will work.

Hey Saw Troll, have you tried the Carlton chain yet? I'm waiting to hear from you on the spec's for the 3/8" chain, assume I know nothing about what you want and provide me with the full details so I can get it right this time.

Mark

Thank you, the 56dl .050 Semi-chisel works OK on the NK bar on my 339xp, even though it isn't a NK chain.

As expected, is a tad slower than the 95VP/H30, because of the wider kerf, on a small saw - but probably more durable.

Quality seem good, unlike the comparable Windsor chain I also tried.

I will send you a pm! :yourock:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back