051 Stihl problem ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

379 pete

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I just picked up a really nice 051 Stihl, all original and runs real good. The problem is when it sits unused for a while Oil from the chain oil tank finds it way into the crankcase and past the piston, and locks the engine, remove the spark plug, drain it out and it starts and runs fine. Seems to run too good to be a blown case gasket. Has anyone encountered a case where the oil pump or some seal can do this???? I talked to a guy that had the same problem on an 075, He said he just stored it with the bar pointing down and never looked for the problem. This is such a nice old saw, I want to fix it right. Any suggestions ????? Thanks/379 Pete

look for a hole in the tank is my thought... wierd though it goes into the top of the cylinder???? almost seems like your oil tank is pressurized..... not sure on the cause but im sure someone will know what to do:greenchainsaw:

Be carefull... there are two different "rings" 1111 648 9000 and 1111 647 9001. Most take the 9001 ($12.50), but...

Make sure your dealer reads the tech note 03.1978.... (I don't have a copy with me at home..).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back