051 to 076

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm bumping this old thread because I ended up getting another 051 (fpr $10.01) with the right style case to fit the 076 jug with no gap. I have the studs, a good OEM cylinder from a TS760 that fits, and a new piston. I just need to get a few more parts.

I have a couple questions:
1)Are the carbs the same on the 051 and 076? I looked though the service manual and couldn't find any information to suggest otherwise. I know the intake spacer is different, but I found one of those.

2) The saw didn't have a muffler on it, so I need one. Are the 051 and 076 exhausts the same? And where might I be able to find one? I have been searching ebay, but there are none to be found. Would a muffler from a TS760 cut off saw be the same?

Any info or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

076 air box shield.jpg
I'm bumping this old thread because I ended up getting another 051 (fpr $10.01) with the right style case to fit the 076 jug with no gap. I have the studs, a good OEM cylinder from a TS760 that fits, and a new piston. I just need to get a few more parts.

Stihl051 says HE bumped this old thread, now it is my turn. I am not sure I understand the differences between the old style and newer style case and his refernce to no gap. If anyone has pictures of this, I would appreciate it. I am considering converting an 051 to 076 myself.

I understand the need to drill and tap and install the stud bolts, I am aware of the differences in mufflers, as well as a brace that my 076 has that my 051 does not for the exhaust and my 076 has an air guide plate that the 051 doesn't.

I will second that. Pictures of the differences in cases please.

Pictures are totally for attention. :)

25-5-18 045.JPG
25-5-18 027.JPG
25-5-18 031.JPG
25-5-18 032.JPG
25-5-18 034.JPG
25-5-18 036.JPG

And there's some other bits. And one saw was MIA i found it the other day. And I picked up another 076.

This was all for sale in Australia but only got tyre kickers wanting manifolds etc.

William Balaska, if you are referring to points style cases as in a saw that has points ignition such as my Mcculloch 200 does, thanks. If you are meaning by our pictures and descriptions of our saws and saying the ones we have are easily converted to 076 from 051, thanks for that info as well.
From my basic inspections of the 2 saws I have, I can pretty much see the differences and similarities between the 2. It is the subtle things that folks who have converted them, or know of such as updates, slight or significant mods to the saws from when Stihl first introduced them, to when the run was ceased, that will be the info I come here to be made aware of. It is usually a hunt and peck affair otherwise on most things like this that I don't do every day like some do.

Ok I am seeking a bit more advice or suggestions regarding piston and cylinder choises for my 051 and 076 I recently bought used off a tree guy.

I have the 076 torn down with cylinder and piston removed. There is some light scuffing on each. I gave consideration to polishing up the cylinder to remove aluminum transfer and then buy a Meteor piston, rings, bearing and gaskets and after measuring things, then reassemble. That seems straight forward enough. However, I may also continue to hunt for an OEM P and C and pay a little more to have the good stuff. On top of that, I will need to verify all other areas like the oil and fuel tanks, and fuel lines and filter, crank seals etc are not leaking by doing vac and pressure tests.

Next I have been weighing converting my 051 to an 076 specs.

Anyway, If you guys were in my shoes. Is it OEM and pay the piper, or Aftermarket and take chances with cheaper replacement engine parts for either saw?
Also, like Shakespeare, "To convert or not convert to 076 specs? That's the question."

Well, I just had my plans altered a bit regarding the 051. A guy had a Stihl P and C kit on sale for $169 and I offered him $100 and he accepted.
That makes that an easy decision.

I usually just buy complete TS760's for a reasonable price, but if you got a good jug and piston for $100 you're in good shape.

On you other question, Meteor pistons have a great reputation. I would use one in a heartbeat. Only drawback is that it might hurt resale value a bit.

Thanks Bullet. I am afraid I don't have a ready supply of cheap TS760's here where I live. In fact I have never seen one. I noticed I omitted some important details about the $100 parts. They are unused, brand new parts. they guy says are in ready to install condition.
Also, with regards to a saw with a Meteor and resale value, I plan to use these saws as tools to mill with and don't intend to sell off the saws in the near future.

PS. In the few hours since I made this post, I did a quick search for 076 T760 075 Meteor pistons.
I went to a few sites plus Meteor and found it seemed hard to find one and/or Meteor didn't make any. Their site had 0 listed. To be cont.

Thanks Bullet. I am afraid I don't have a ready supply of cheap TS760's here where I live. In fact I have never seen one. I noticed I omitted some important details about the $100 parts. They are unused, brand new parts. they guy says are in ready to install condition.
Also, with regards to a saw with a Meteor and resale value, I plan to use these saws as tools to mill with and don't intend to sell off the saws in the near future.

PS. In the few hours since I made this post, I did a quick search for 076 T760 075 Meteor pistons.
I went to a few sites plus Meteor and found it seemed hard to find one and/or Meteor didn't make any. Their site had 0 listed. To be cont.

I usually find TS760 carcasses on eBay but not seeing any reasonably priced ones right now.

If you got an NOS Stihl P&C for $100, you done good.

Thank you, Bullet. Yeah I am new to these saws, but I know they are well thought of especially for milling. In addition, I have just scanned your signature list of saws. Quite a nice selection you got there. Can't help but notice your 2 Mac's. The SP 125 was among 2-3 other saws I considered using to mill with. For my initial milling work, I wound up with a Stihl MS660 before finding the 051 and 076. As I do my refurbishing of the 051 and 076, I will begin milling my smaller 12-14 inch logs with the 660 and Alaskan Mill. Then with my biggest logs being just around 30 inches across, I will put the 42 inch Stihl bar on the 076 and have a go at the big stuff.

Thank you, Bullet. Yeah I am new to these saws, but I know they are well thought of especially for milling. In addition, I have just scanned your signature list of saws. Quite a nice selection you got there. Can't help but notice your 2 Mac's. The SP 125 was among 2-3 other saws I considered using to mill with. For my initial milling work, I wound up with a Stihl MS660 before finding the 051 and 076. As I do my refurbishing of the 051 and 076, I will begin milling my smaller 12-14 inch logs with the 660 and Alaskan Mill. Then with my biggest logs being just around 30 inches across, I will put the 42 inch Stihl bar on the 076 and have a go at the big stuff.

The Mac 797 and 125 would make good milling saws, but I think you're better off with an 075/076. The 1111 series saws are just more affordable. The 066/660 saws are great, too, but I still think you're better off with a 1111 for milling.

Bullet. Your assessment of the models in your post above is about what my research and the advice of others have told me as well. Another fine saw that others have suggested for milling is a Husky 395, but I found my 51 and 76 before finding one of those. Thanks for your advice, bullet.

Latest posts

Back