056 Flywheel for SEM ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maico490

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The Bosch ignition on my 056 gave out and after a bit of searching around I got a new SEM ignition for £45 ($90). However I also now need a new flywheel with there being plenty of dead TS350 chopsaws over here as against not many 056s. I've searched other threads and it seems that the TS350 flywheel will not fit. What is the difference between the two and is it possible to modify a TS350 flywheel to fit?

PS If anyone in the UK needs a 2-part Bosch flywheel and puller let me know.

The Bosch ignition on my 056 gave out and after a bit of searching around I got a new SEM ignition for £45 ($90). However I also now need a new flywheel with there being plenty of dead TS350 chopsaws over here as against not many 056s. I've searched other threads and it seems that the TS350 flywheel will not fit. What is the difference between the two and is it possible to modify a TS350 flywheel to fit?

The Flywheel is the same except that it has the key slot in a different location. To cut your own key slot you need a broach, and angled sleeve and angled base holer so you can press the broach vertically... expensive set up... oh .. and you need to be able to measure the location super accurately! And.... I believe it has a different taper diameter. One day.. I'll build a jig..

Many thanks for the replies. It looks like modifying the flywheel is a non-starter but it's better to know for sure. Needing a new starter is a disappointment but I'm pretty determined that the 056 will make noise again.Can anyone help out with what other parts are needed and if they are fitted to other models? In the meantime back to the 064 with a badly scored piston that cylinders other than OEM ($400 over here) don't seem to be available for.

The Flywheel is the same except that it has the key slot in a different location. To cut your own key slot you need a broach, and angled sleeve and angled base holer so you can press the broach vertically... expensive set up... oh .. and you need to be able to measure the location super accurately! And.... I believe it has a different taper diameter. One day.. I'll build a jig..

Wire EDM is much easier...:clap:

Much easier... but hard to do at home ;)

Andy...I wouldn't be at all surprised if you were to pull one out of that bag of tricks of yours...:spam:

I have access to wire EDM at about $55.00 an hour.

Great machine...will make perfect cuts in tungsten carbide...:clap:

LOLOl It's on the "list", after a surface grinder and tig..

I nearly got suckering into taking a dead 80's Cincinatti (huge...) home.. but ended up just taking the XY table and DRO..

If you want to PM me your address I'll send you a flywheel for the cost of the postage.

I have more 350 parts than I'll ever need.

Pity you didn't post before you shelled out £45 for the ignition unit.

Edit, sorry, read before you write! Well the offer is still there if it can be made to fit.

Last edited:
I managed to get an 056 SEM flywheel off e-bay. Fitted it and the saw started in 3 pulls with that lovely crackle an 056 makes. There were no problems with the starter but there is a slight difference in the diameter of the starter pawls. The SEM is approx 1mm larger so if there is a later type starter specific to it then it may not work with an earlier 2-part flywheel. I've also put a picture in of the puller I made for the old flywheel. Many thanks for the advice you all gave.
attachment.php

attachment.php

SEM Flywheel
attachment.php

Bosch 2-part Flywheel
attachment.php

Homemade puller for above
attachment.php

Last edited:
Back