056 Impulse Hose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd460

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hose came off yesterday while cutting into some 36 inch oak. I want to replace it as it is probably original. Dealer part only?

Also, what needs to come off? Fuel tank/carb mount? Top cover? Or both?

I have had this thing apart before, but just don't remember.

Hopefully that was the only reason it was down on power and was spittin and sputterin. Thanks, KD

I'm not sure, but I think you could change it out by only removing the top cover. Of course that's a little more involved on these old 045/056s. I hope you didn't hurt the P&C with the hose unhooked. That's a serious air leak. You might want to pop the muffler off and check while you have the top cover off.

I hope not either! I made 2 or 3 cuts trying to figure out what was going on. A little tweaking here and there of the carb screws during the cuts, cleaning the filter and trying again, etc.

Will find out for sure tomorrow. Maybe time for a new piston and cylinder. Thanks for the info. KD

Just an update:

Checked impulse hose, it was off, probably from me monkeying around with it trying to figure out what was wrong. It pops out easily from the barb fitting with a little bit of manipulation from a screwdriver. Way to easy. While it is soft and supple, it no longer grips the fitting in the crankcase tightly. Tested for leaks and no leaks found. So I jimmy rigged a zip tie as a make shift hose clamp till a new one arrives. It did not help in how it runs. Pulled muffler and piston and cylinder look fine.

BTW, the top cover (orange) does need to come off, and the carb and gas tank. Maybe someone could get to the impulse hose connection at the engine if the pull starter and plastic shroud was removed, but it is kind of
tight.

Step 2: Pulled carb off again, cleaned and rebuilt it, it started then died after 5 seconds. Kept flooding. Pulled carb off again, double checked my work, put it all back together and nothing. Getting good spark, but kept flooding and this time no attempt to start.

Step 3: I removed the pull starter and flywheel. Flywheel nut seemed a little loose. Popped off flywheel and found a sheared woodruff key. A sliver was still in the flywheel, and the other piece was left in the crank groove just about as smooth as the crank taper. Not sure why that happened. Just discovered it tonight so I will pick up a new key at the stihl dealer tomorrow.

Hopefully the dealer will have a 3x3x7 woodruff key. I do have some key stock, but I would probably spend way too much time making one. The stock I have is way to thick. Besides, if I fixed it tonight, I would just have to try it out and it is way to late for that now. The neighbors just don't seem to understand that kind of stuff.:chainsaw:

Step 4 would have been a pressure test for crank seals. Glad it did not have to go that far. Hopefully this will be it. :monkey: KD

Last edited:
Yes it is, just not sure why a woodruff key would fail? Maybe I did not tighten the nut enough when I put the flywheel on this past spring, but I usually make things too tight, not too loose. KD

Yes it is, just not sure why a woodruff key would fail? Maybe I did not tighten the nut enough when I put the flywheel on this past spring, but I usually make things too tight, not too loose. KD

I'm betting it was the loose FW nut...........I did it last week on an
056 myself :blush:

Had just installed ignition, it started missing and died.....I had put nut
on hand tight, wife called me in for lunch, then I forgot to torque nut
down after lunch. :bang:

OK, so I cleaned up the shaft taper, got the remnants of th key out, used some valve lapping compund and lapped the flywheel to the shaft (based on instructions found in this forum), got everything clean with some carb cleaner and will pick up a key tonight.

If the dealer has no key, I'm gonna make one (out of mild steel or aluminum?) from what I read it really does not matter as the fit (taper) is what should keep the flywheel from spinning. I suppose I could run one without a key if I had to.

The nut that was supposed to tighten the nut is the most logical explanation as to why this happened. Thanks for the help, KD

I'd have to agree on the loose nut. I had that happen on my 051 last week. I had popped the flywheel off to check the points, and didn't torque the nut down all the way, thinking I'd need the flywheel off again. Then I decided to do a compression check, and managed to shear the key while pulling the starter. Fortunately, the dealer had one in stock for something like $1. I certainly can't even think about making one for that cheap.

Where does the impulse hose on an 045 connect? One end to the crankcase,but what about the other end?

I was just working on one last week and it appeared that the impulse came throught the manifold.Could not find a fitting on the carb except for fuel.

On the 045/056 there should not be a fitting on the carb for the fuel. It comes out of the tank and straight into the back of the carb. The fitting on the fuel pump side of the carb is where the impulse hooks up.

On the 045/056 there should not be a fitting on the carb for the fuel. It comes out of the tank and straight into the back of the carb. The fitting on the fuel pump side of the carb is where the impulse hooks up.

Yes, the only "hose" you see is the impulse hose. It goes from the elbow fitting on the carb, thru the fuel tank/carb mounting bracket and over to the crankase near the location of where the flywheel is.

BTW, new key is in and this mother screams! Better than it ever has. So I guess the carb was due for a rebuild as well.

I gotta give Pes+ some credit here, I found an old post called "gutless 056" and he said to use these carb settings:

"I have never seen an 056 run well with the low speed at 1 turn out. It should be from 1.25 to 1.5 with the idle adjuster corrected for no chain creep and the hi will end up at around 1 or less with the low set this way".

Well, he was dead on with what my 056 likes and this is what it is set at. Can't wait to get this beast into some wood. KD

Thanks for the info. Now I get to tear her apart.

I have an 056MagII with no spark next......oh boy!! :jawdrop:

Back