056 Magnum problem!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burlhunter13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I ran into two problems with my 056 magnum II, I'm not 100% sure on what to do.

First photo - is just the saw torn apart.

Second Photo - Is the air filter problem, I bought a standard air filter off ebay and it doesn't fit on the carb. I think its because the carb has that big aluminum ring on it. I dont know if I should take it off. I was wondering if there is some other filter that is made to use with that ring. If not then should I take the ring off and put the stock filter on?

Third Photo - Is the piston, I just replaced the rings and I dont remember which way the pins face when installing the piston back onto the saw. Should the side of the piston with the pins be facing the muffler or the carb when installed back into the cylinder?

Forth photo - Another view of the piston and the direction it should face?

Fifth photo - The underside of the piston seems to have a weld on it, also a nib of metal on the other side...I was wondering what those were for? I was trying to find a replacement piston (56mm) but its practically impossible.

Thanks for any help!!!! I want to get this saw back up and running ASAP! :dizzy:

Take that air intake bell off the carburetor somone had a weenie aftermarket filter on it. The stock one will go right on then. The piston looks good, why did you tear it down? Should have an arrow on the piston pointing toward the intake, or just match up the transfer ports to the piston

Is that a weld spot on the piston.
Looks like it to me.
If so junk the piston and get a new one.

Yes take the carb bell off and the
stock filter will go on.

Just my thoughts Lee

Take that air intake bell off the carburetor somone had a weenie aftermarket filter on it. The stock one will go right on then. The piston looks good, why did you tear it down? Should have an arrow on the piston pointing toward the intake, or just match up the transfer ports to the piston

Thanks much!
That was fast!
I'll take that aluminum bell off the carb then.

I noticed that arrow on top of the piston head. I was browsing on youtube and I saw a guy building a 2 cycle engine and he showed that the arrow faces towards the muffler? I'm not sure. I dont really understand what you mean by matching up with the transfer ports? Could you explain that?

Thanks again!

Is that a weld spot on the piston.
Looks like it to me.
If so junk the piston and get a new one.

Yes take the carb bell off and the
stock filter will go on.

Just my thoughts Lee

It is a weld lol, Thats why I took the piston off, I was going to replace it but I cant find one. It runs fine with the weld for some reason....but I would like to replace it. I put new rings on it and I'll see how she handles, I;m just not sure which way the piston goes back on....I'm still learning...trial and error style. I know its not the smart thing to do, but I don't know anyone around here who knows anything about 2 cycle engines.

Does the arrow face the muffler or the intake???

The arrow usually goe's to the exhaust.
But make sure the ring end gaps are on the cylinder and not lining up with a port.

If the piston has been welded, it probably is distorted and not round any more. I would measure it with a micrometer before using it.
But i would replace it. Even an after market is better than a welded piston. That one has done it's work.

Regards Lee

The arrow usually goe's to the exhaust.
But make sure the ring end gaps are on the cylinder and not lining up with a port.

If the piston has been welded, it probably is distorted and not round any more. I would measure it with a micrometer before using it.
But i would replace it. Even an after market is better than a welded piston. That one has done it's work.

Regards Lee

That is amazing,,,,Looking @ the witness marks on the piston skirt in the next to last pic it is wearing remarkably even.......:cheers:

Hey send that Intake aluminum bell to me!!!!!:greenchainsaw:

Where would I get an aftermarket piston for this saw, and possibly cylinder? I talked to the guys at Bailey's and they dont have it. I've looked on ebay and I cant find one. It's 56mm.

The only other problem with the saw is that the on/off switch doesn't work....and it seems like a headache to fix that....is it? I dont have the tools to pull the flywheel.

I originally though this saw was a 056Av....but when I took the piston off and checked it with a micrometer it showed that instead of being 52mm it was 56mm. So then I double checked the name plate and I didn't notice at first but it was a Magnum II.....I was pretty happy about that, here's a pic of the name plate. I bought the saw for $178 with the understanding that it was a 056Av....

look at the plate.....you can barely see part of the "II" in "magnum II"......gave me goosebumps lol :greenchainsaw:

Thanks again for all your help!

That is amazing,,,,Looking @ the witness marks on the piston skirt in the next to last pic it is wearing remarkably even.......:cheers:

Hey send that Intake aluminum bell to me!!!!!:greenchainsaw:

What is that bell for??? lol. I dont have a use for it now. I also have a 031AV but she's running fine. Has the stock air filter on it.

What is that bell for??? lol. I dont have a use for it now. I also have a 031AV but she's running fine. Has the stock air filter on it.

It is used with an aftermarket foam filter on A ported
saw,,, it looks to me that piston has been "enhanced/ported" probably how it got cracked in the first place,,,,

Try Bryce Stott @ Cheapstihparts,,, he may have a piston,,,

http://stores.ebay.com/cheap-stihl-saw-parts

send him an email,,,, it may not be listed,,,,

It is used with an aftermarket foam filter on A ported
saw,,, it looks to me that piston has been "enhanced/ported" probably how it got cracked in the first place,,,,

Try Bryce Stott @ Cheapstihparts,,, he may have a piston,,,

http://stores.ebay.com/cheap-stihl-saw-parts

send him an email,,,, it may not be listed,,,,

ahhhh....makes sense.....the saw is dual ported, and I've heard of those aftermarket filters.....I think they are oil filters right? What should I do about it. Is it better to have the the stock filter on it or is it better to get the other filter? I'm just worried that the air filter cover wont fit if I get a different filter?

Heres another picture.....

The stock filter cover fastens to one of the stock filter screws

You run the velocity stack with out a cover,,,,, just a green weeinie style oiled filter,,,, Check your PMs,,,,

Bryce should have a stock flocked filter for your saw,,, it will do a better job than the mesh,,,

The stock filter cover fastens to one of the stock filter screws

You run the velocity stack with out a cover,,,,, just a green weeinie style oiled filter,,,, Check your PMs,,,,

Bryce should have a stock flocked filter for your saw,,, it will do a better job than the mesh,,,

How would the green filter be installed if I don't put a cover on the saw? It seems like the green filter had a hole running threw it? Does it just slip over the bell?

I thought the arrow pointed to the exhaust. THis is a super critical point, and getting it wrong will tear stuff up but good.........

These guys are correct, my mistake. I've been working on a bunch of 051's
and 076's lately(intake and exhause are both on top). Stihl has NOS piston and cylinders for the 056m2, I
rebuilt one back around december, no gaskets though unless you buy the
cylinder/piston kit. Rhan's chainsaw parts in the Dakota's had the gasket
for the cylinder I believe

Back