056mag ignition issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer 87

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just rebuilt a 056 mag, split cases new bearings etc etc. Got it back together, have no spark. It has the Bosch ignition system. The ignition plate is slotted, not knowing any different i centered it and tightened it there. Could that have any bearing on the no spark? I assume the slots are.simply for advance adjustments but idk. Im goin to double check the kill wire and switch but im not hopeful. I bought non running for a mechanical issue. So coil condition was unknown.

I rechecked everything this morning, been through every scenario. The coils simply dead. At this point i think id rather switch to a SEM setup

It should of had a SEM setup on it already. The mags have a specific ignition and flywheel setup compared to the rest of the of the 056 family. Not saying a whole other ignition won’t work though. Someone swap it out already?

Idk its weird my 056av had an SEM setup on it already but this 056mag was a bosch style. Ive read i can convert it back to a 041 points style ignition since the used crank i put in had points cam ground in.

I don't see why not. But like I said before the Mag ignition is different from the rest. The ignition module is similar to the 2100 and the flywheel is one piece instead of two. Could use a points ignition but replace the points with a module too.

I don't see why not. But like I said before the Mag ignition is different from the rest. The ignition module is similar to the 2100 and the flywheel is one piece instead of two. Could use a points ignition but replace the points with a module too.
If you use a 2100 SEM you will need a longer spark plug lead.... I vote go SEM

Just rebuilt a 056 mag, split cases new bearings etc etc. Got it back together, have no spark. It has the Bosch ignition system. The ignition plate is slotted, not knowing any different i centered it and tightened it there. Could that have any bearing on the no spark? I assume the slots are.simply for advance adjustments but idk. Im goin to double check the kill wire and switch but im not hopeful. I bought non running for a mechanical issue. So coil condition was unknown.
It ran BEFORE you took it apart?

I got it non running bc the keyway in the crank was busted, so it needed a flywheel and crankshaft. So i cant confirm it had spark prior to tear down. All i know is its a bosch stator plate, and a two piece flywheel/fan assembly. If theres different flywheels for the bosch unit i dont know anything about that. I know the used flywheel i got matched the damaged one i got with saw, the damage to the crank matched the damage on the flywheel so they were mated at one point.

Wait so you replaced the crank because the key way was damaged? Or was it more of a might as well do it while its apart kind of fix?

I replaced th crank because the keyway was damaged, it was also leaking bar oil into the crankcase, it had a myriad of issue warranting the case split.

WOW, man made damage no doubt!

Do you think that the hack mechanic couldn't get the original key out?

I had one 045 come in with half the key still buried in the crank, but it was absolutely hidden if you didn't know where it should be. I was able to save that one.

They had ground a “keyway” up through the FW threads, pioneering a new method w/ a thin key & keyway to get the FW to stay put, lol.

WOW, man made damage no doubt!

Do you think that the hack mechanic couldn't get the original key out?

I had one 045 come in with half the key still buried in the crank, but it was absolutely hidden if you didn't know where it should be. I was able to save that one.

They had ground a “keyway” up through the FW threads, pioneering a new method w/ a thin key & keyway to get the FW to stay put, lol.
I second that WOW

If you're set up with a good Bosch setup do the foggysail shuffle ,er conversion repair it works, cheap, almost fun . Replace kill wire if it is frayed, starting to get hard ( we're still talking about chainsaw , right)

Latest posts

Back